Sweet Gum Saplings

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Canuck where did you get this chart ? Thanks CJ

Sorry, I wished I could remember. It was something I copied and pasted from somewhere, when doing a little research, back on July 25th, 2014. I've had in in my database for a while.

Long Cut

Whatever the March fire didn’t kill, the Imazypyr/Gly/24D/Dicamba Spott-spray cocktail did.

Attachments

• 2AF272EA-25BA-49AB-85D9-A88C25614113.jpeg
    2AF272EA-25BA-49AB-85D9-A88C25614113.jpeg
    656.2 KB · Views: 68
  • F340B900-0F03-45D6-85D9-5B5855652B2F.jpeg
    F340B900-0F03-45D6-85D9-5B5855652B2F.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 0EBE4833-C01E-4371-909B-3AA9DF025E2B.jpeg
    0EBE4833-C01E-4371-909B-3AA9DF025E2B.jpeg
    561.1 KB · Views: 60

Big7

The Oracle
Burn the 8 acres between now and the winter, while they are still green. Burning gum trees when they are dormant doesn't do much more than just stunt their growth.
Make sure you check the regs.

I called a few weeks ago and was told no burning as of about a week before I needed to burn.

Can't recall the date she told me you could start back burning. If I'm not mistaken, and I might be, it's a total ban in Georgia right now.

And yes. Sweetgum is a pain.
If you plan on cutting all that crap down, use a tracked implement. The stumps will mess up a tractor tire right quick.

Anything big enough to keep makes good firewood.
Some folks won't use it because it pops a little while burning. It doesn't make much ash.
You will need a splitter. Almost impossible to split with a wedge or axe.

uturn

What about gums this big I‘ve got hundreds some absolute giants on my 10 acres…we did a good job when clearing I think but anytime I don’t uproot one they explode! 4594982D-E429-49FF-8659-39AACBD83A40.jpeg

boogerred

Hack and squirt will work. However an easier method that I have found for trees this size is to use a battery powered chain saw. Girdle the tree all the way around at a comfortable height for you about 1/2" cut into the tree and spray with herbicide. I have used straight kilzall in a Dollar Tree spray bottle with good results. Any chain saw will work but what I like about the battery saw is that its light weight and no noise but it will still cut you if you are not careful.

uturn

Thanks y’all!

I‘m sure it is in an earlier post but whats the herb and time line from hack to I can work with it?

I have a 50 HP Tractor, Rake etc..

Thanks again Fellas

Gut_Pile

Watched a growing deer tv episode yesterday on hack and squirt. Grant Woods recommends:

50% Garlon 3A
40% Water
10% Arsenal AC

This will kill just about anything.

For timing, now until the leaves start to turn color is the best time

doomtrpr_z71

Watched a growing deer tv episode yesterday on hack and squirt. Grant Woods recommends:

50% Garlon 3A
40% Water
10% Arsenal AC

Adding the 10% arsenal ac to a 50% solution of triclopyr doesn't get you very much of anything.

cj580guitar

50% Garlon 3A
40% Water
10% Arsenal AC

I have been using this herbicide mixture and it works great !!

treemanjohn

Banned

50% Garlon 3A
40% Water
10% Arsenal AC

Just buy plain old glyphosate and use it straight of RM43.