Switchgrass?

Junebug

What can you tell me about switchgrass and wildlife? I know it makes great hi-carb/protein hay, but what about benefit for deer, turkey, and small game? I'm thinking of converting some old fescue/bermuda fields to improve habitat.

I'd think it makes good bedding area when it's tall for the deer, but do they eat it too? Turkeys...nesting maybe?

gadeerwoman

As nesting habitat, soil erosion deterant and cover it is great. If you are looking for a forage grass for deer and turkey, switchgrass isn't it.

LKennamer

It has some value

I am unsure of the benefits of switchgrass for deer, although as you mentioned, I'm sure they would use it for bedding when it is tall. It can be used by turkeys as nesting cover (except when it is very tall), and it has in recent years been planted to provide the same for quail. Regardless whether it has 'high' value or not, it will beat fescue/bermuda hands down. You'll want to do all you can to 'eliminate' (as much as possible) the fescue and bermuda before planting it. Fescue can usually be taken care of in one growing season, bermuda, according to the research, takes two. Also, it seems to be better not to do any soil disturbance while you are trying to herbicide it. It stimulates the rhizomes under the soil. Good luck with your project.

LKennamer

Not sure

Most recommendations are that you will need to spray the fescue twice, usually spring and fall. The bermuda recommendations usually are to do that two years running. There are also some other chemicals which are recommended that work better than Roundup, but I'd have to dig around and look them up, my brain file is locked! Don't think you really need a preemergent in this case.