T.P.'s 8th annual food plot prep picher thread

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
It is and less worries about what to plant "now" for the summer, if IHunt is right about a drought coming. The red clover with the longer root system, should preform well.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Have a little patch of volunteer clover up near my road, believe it’s arrowleaf. Looks like deer are browsing it at night in a few places. My crimson clover in my plot has stopped blooming and this is still going strong, may try to transplant some of it to my plot.27FD4D67-00D8-47BA-8BF6-E5ACF1E1D832.jpegFDEF28E9-B26E-4F66-94E0-9118D5D7E779.jpeg33E1655E-64A2-462F-81B1-DE584C8A1F89.jpeg

fireman32

My bro in law tried to start a chestnut orchard in the field, would sure like to plant it with some type of plot seed. That 3 acres could be a buffet.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
shade clover.JPG

fireman32

Went and checked on some young swamp chestnut oaks I cleared around earlier this year. After watching Grant Woods and hearing him preach about sunlight hitting the ground I decided to see for myself. This small area had a bare understory, but now has scuppernong vines and beauty berry sprouting. One pic is the area right beside the clearing, you can see how dark and barren it still is. Baby steps and a never ending task to improve the land for wildlife.30475A3B-EEBE-4299-8912-CA7BD0387106.jpeg1E134C59-9E01-4714-9149-5261AD2A0DBA.jpeg

fireman32

And they really like trophy rocks, putting out the third one this year.C5962150-E883-4C83-A665-235494F5F79D.jpeg

sportsman94

Went and checked on some young swamp chestnut oaks I cleared around earlier this year. After watching Grant Woods and hearing him preach about sunlight hitting the ground I decided to see for myself. This small area had a bare understory, but now has scuppernong vines and beauty berry sprouting. One pic is the area right beside the clearing, you can see how dark and barren it still is. Baby steps and a never ending task to improve the land for wildlife.View attachment 1151523View attachment 1151524

Good to hear that you are seeing positive results from your efforts. I talk hunting/habitat with a few buddies and keep telling them that sunlight hitting the ground would improve their habitat greatly.

fireman32

Good to hear that you are seeing positive results from your efforts. I talk hunting/habitat with a few buddies and keep telling them that sunlight hitting the ground would improve their habitat greatly.
It’s a learning curve when figuring out how many trees to remove. I generally cut down any sweet gum, maple or sycamore first then think real hard before I cut an oak. This place was clear cut about 30 years ago and left to regenerate on its on. I’ve been “managing” it for about 15 years. My goal, since its mostly a bottom and only 40 acres, is to have as many oak and wildlife friendly trees as possible while still having year round browse and cover.

deermaster13

Let this one head out all it would do. Mowed it down Saturday. This end had clover and oats. Fat end rye and wheat with rape. I plan on hitting it with lime soon if we get any rain that is. Mowed 3 other plots on another tract Sunday. I've posted this plot in here before

Attachments

• 20220514_155911.jpg
    20220514_155911.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 16

deermaster13

What was the thought process around mowing @deermaster13 ?
it needed mowing. I let it head out and it wasn't going anywhere so I mowed it. I'm staying with the clover on one end again and the other I'll put it back in rape and probably wheat in the fall. I had good luck with the deer on the rape this season. In meantime I'll turn the wife's horse in it for the summer. I may hit that end with the rye with glyphosphate before fall planting. I'm slowly working the other end to just clover. This plot absolutely had deer using it hard this past season. I'm still learning though and get a bunch of info here.