Taking inventory a little early of bucks

AlabamaSwamper

Probably going to be the best year for pictures and older bucks on my place. 3.5yr or older. They are scattered all over the property for some reason this year. Took 6 cameras to get them all and I've got a few sets I haven't tried yet that normally produce a few.

Because of past history with some of these bucks, I know their ages, at least the ones I know anyway. A couple more I'm not sure of. Here is some of them. We are finally where we wanted to be with a truly huntable population of 3+ year old bucks. I'll spare you the pics of 2 yr olds. These pictures are taken in normal southeastern habitat. Timber management and fields we simply bushhog along with as many plots as we can afford each year. Deer are healthy, weights prove that. Up 20lbs per age class from 6 years ago. Still doesn't equate to 150" bucks but nice either way. Drought I think has hurt antler production this year. Estimated Gross scores are down across the board per age class even with another 2-3 weeks of growth left.

Here's a few I have available to post.

3yr old 8pt (2yr old 7pt last year that I let walk, 95% sure it's the same deer)

PICT0046.jpg

Hard to tell at this point. I'm thinking 3yr old but could be older, just can't tell this time of year and I don't know this deer which leads me to 3yr old.

MDGC0021.jpg

I'm leaning 4 here. I'm 95% on this deer was a 3yr old 8 last year in the same area.

shooter42.jpg

Again, I'm leaning 4 on the buck on left. Although he may be an above average 3yr old as far as antlers. As I've learned, it's though this time of year aging them unless you have history with them. I think I do with this buck but I'm not sure. I haven't had time to really go through 2011 pics yet. Deer in back right is a 6pt (trying to throw G3's) that I've got pegged at 3 but will definately get a pass unless someone wants to mount him, which is possible.

deer7-25-12061.jpg

Deer in middle of previous picture. Again, I've got him pegged at 3 and would be an above average 3. I'm again 95% sure this was a very respectable 7pt last year, wide and the brows grow the same. I had him at 2.5 last year during season so I'm pretty sure this deer is a good 3yr old.

deer7-25-12060.jpg

This one, I have history with. Two years ago he was a tall 7, last year he was identicle to this. In fact, this deer may have lost inches from last year. I think this deer is 5 but I know he is 4. He looks 4 now. Either way, he's mature. This is the deer I thought I was shooting last year that was one of those moments I wish I had back although that deer would have been close just no brows and was 2.5yr. GRRRRR

shooter7.jpg

I'm almost certain this is a 3yr old 8. He was passed last year at same spot as a smaller 2yr old.

shooter6.jpg

AlabamaSwamper

And this one. I have one pic of him somewhere as a 3/4 year old in October but I can't find it. This deer only gets pictures took of him at this location even with other cameras very close. This buck is either 5 or 6 I know. It's entirely possible this deer is older than that but I'm conservative with these or try to be.

2010 (this was velvet pic, the only one) I did have the October pic if I can find it. Not paying attention to antlers, he appears 4 here with his belly and back but I'm not sold. I think 3 in 2010. His October pic says 4 also but again, might be an early born 3 year old.

PICT0134.jpg

2011 Again, one picture of him. Leads me to believe he don't live on us all the time but he's bad camera shy and I don't run cameras in this section very much.

Shooter1.jpg

shooter8-1.jpg

Jim Boyd

Most excellent work and photos... look at the gut in that last photo!