Taking the Scenic route home & back…

Geffellz18

Took a trip to PCB last week. Researched different things to do outside of the typical stuff while there since I’ve been going there pretty much every year since I was 3 with the exception of the last 5-6 years. We now go every other year due to competing interests. Our primary draw back at this point are friends that have truly become family over the past 4 decades as this is the common denominator for both families to meet up and fellowship!
On the way down, we stopped in Chipley to visit FL’s tallest waterfall at Falling waters state park. Not quite as impressive as those here in N. GA, but a neat geological point of interest and story on how it was formed none the less…
IMG_0279.jpegIMG_0284.jpegIMG_0283.jpeg
The follow day, the wife and I headed north from the coast to Ponce De Leon to get a different type of aqua therapy at Morrison Springs! Really pretty area for a nice paddle and a dip into the 68 degree water. Very refreshing on a 90+ degree day!
IMG_0301.jpeg
IMG_0332.jpeg
IMG_0308.jpeg
As the families grow ever larger, spreading out is pretty much a necessity-The resort we now stay at is at Alligator point across the bay from St. Andrew’s SP & the pass. We actually prefer it over being in the middle of the crazy action & traffic which is PCB. Spent some time paddling around the bay, too. Didn’t bring the fishing gear however. Was still much enjoyable!
IMG_0540.jpegIMG_0543.jpegIMG_0553.jpeg
…..

Last edited:

Geffellz18

Packed up and took the Scenic route home-Headed East towards Apalachicola & St. George Island. Although I grew up on the Gulf Coast, I had never been past Mexico Beach before, so this was a new venture for me as well!
Our sites were set on the Apalachicola National Estuarine Research Reserve, but I’m also a sucker for a good lighthouse pic, so a pit stop in Port St Joe and St George island were a must as well.
IMG_0684.jpegIMG_0681.jpeg
IMG_0713.jpegIMG_0706.jpeg

The Estuarine Museum caught my eye since we had just visited one in NC back in April and really enjoyed it. It also intrigued me since this estuary has close ties to where I currently call home in NE GA since the Chattahoochee, in part feeds into it.
Very nice museum and well worth the trip over to check it out… Highly recommend it if in the general area.
IMG_0716.jpegIMG_0717.jpeg
IMG_0768.jpegIMG_0756.jpegIMG_0762.jpeg
IMG_0775.jpeg

Last edited:

Geffellz18

They have three separate pools/aquariums inside of the three different bodies of water one would experience along the watershed with common wildlife that is found in each, along with a few smaller tanks of other species, like a Red Rat Snake…
IMG_0720.jpeg
IMG_0733.jpeg
IMG_0742.jpeg
IMG_0760.jpeg
IMG_0771.jpegIMG_0770.jpeg
As mentioned, this Estuary has ties to where I currently live in NE GA…On the way to the Estuary overlook, they have waypoints for the Chattahoochee, Flint & Apalachicola river systems…I pretty much reside about 2 miles from the Chattahoochee smack dab in the middle of the headwaters and Buford Dam-The first two waypoints on their interpretive walk to the outflow to the bay…IMG_0817.jpegIMG_0816.jpegIMG_0814.jpeg
IMG_0803.jpeg

Last edited:

Geffellz18

They also have an interpretive nature trail that walks through some of the natural habitat you would experience near the coast-We took a short stint as it was HOT & Muggy when we were there-Being away from that for 23+ years, I’m not used to it anymore, lol!
IMG_0789.jpegIMG_0796.jpegIMG_0793.jpegIMG_0790.jpegIMG_0791.jpegIMG_0792.jpegIMG_0801.jpeg
Again, great place to visit and learn about this great watershed. I’m sure many of you on here have ties to it somehow as well. Thanks for tagging along!

Redbow

Wow, Chipley Florida had an Uncle who lived near Chipley he passed on a couple of years ago. Never would have thought there was a waterfall there.

Looks like a fine trip to me, and I love lighthouses also especially the most famous one on our coast, Cape Hatteras light.

Geffellz18

Very nice. The panhandle is so different from the rest of the state, especially the southern third or half.
Agreed-I’ve been to many parts of FL. It’s crazy that I’ve never been to the Big Bend area before, but have been up and down that coastline on either side of it many times! Although Apalachicola would only be a small portion of the Big bend.
Yes, I loosely split FL into two parts. North FL which starts around Ocala & South FL which is anything South of there.
Pretty much different States as far as culture, lifestyle, politics etc is concerned with exceptions, of course!

Geffellz18

Wow, Chipley Florida had an Uncle who lived near Chipley he passed on a couple of years ago. Never would have thought there was a waterfall there.

Looks like a fine trip to me, and I love lighthouses also especially the most famous one on our coast, Cape Hatteras light.
Thanks-I had no idea, either!
The Estuarium I referenced visiting in NC isn’t too far from you, actually. It is located in Washington.
I took that long scenic route a few years ago just to get a shot of the Hatteras lighthouse myself. Think it was like 50 miles or so there and back for a pic, but was worth it! Did a museum or two while down there too, so made the trip more worthwhile.
Got a distance shot of the Cape lookout lighthouse in April as well. Think that’s near you also.
Wanted to ferry to it, but it was closed to climbing and paying for 4 to get over there wasn’t worth it, since I’m the only one with a true interest!

Last edited:

bullgator

Agreed-I’ve been to many parts of FL. It’s crazy that I’ve never been to the Big Bend area before, but have been up and down that coastline on either side of it many times! Although Apalachicola would only be a small portion of the Big bend.
Yes, I loosely split FL into two parts. North FL which starts around Ocala & South FL which is anything South of there.
Pretty much different States as far as culture, lifestyle, politics etc is concerned with exceptions, of course!
Most of my early hunting was west of Perry near the mouth of the Econfina River. I kind of break Florida up into three distinct regions. South Florida would be from about Hwy. 60 on down. Central Florida might go from there up to about Gainesville, and of course from there up and across the panhandle is old Florida. What I find interesting is that most of north Florida actually seem to have more terrain and diverse views than most of South Georgia until you get to around Perry, Ga.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Took a trip to PCB last week. Researched different things to do outside of the typical stuff while there since I’ve been going there pretty much every year since I was 3 with the exception of the last 5-6 years. We now go every other year due to competing interests. Our primary draw back at this point are friends that have truly become family over the past 4 decades as this is the common denominator for both families to meet up and fellowship!
On the way down, we stopped in Chipley to visit FL’s tallest waterfall at Falling waters state park. Not quite as impressive as those here in N. GA, but a neat geological point of interest and story on how it was formed none the less…
View attachment 1311730View attachment 1311731View attachment 1311732
The follow day, the wife and I headed north from the coast to Ponce De Leon to get a different type of aqua therapy at Morrison Springs! Really pretty area for a nice paddle and a dip into the 68 degree water. Very refreshing on a 90+ degree day!
View attachment 1311735
View attachment 1311733
View attachment 1311736
As the families grow ever larger, spreading out is pretty much a necessity-The resort we now stay at is at Alligator point across the bay from St. Andrew’s SP & the pass. We actually prefer it over being in the middle of the crazy action & traffic which is PCB. Spent some time paddling around the bay, too. Didn’t bring the fishing gear however. Was still much enjoyable!
View attachment 1311737View attachment 1311738View attachment 1311739
…..
Used to love scuba diving Morrison Springs. Best time to get in that water is Jan. and the air temp. is in the 40's... water feels warm then. This time year when you jump in it you turn.. BLUE.

Geffellz18

Old Florida along The Forgotten Coast and the Panhandle is Paradise for hunters and fishermen. I love that area.
I actually thought of you as we headed North towards Quincy, driving through Tate’s “Hades” SF and Apalachicola NF. Looked like a place you’d be right at home in! I actually drove that entire stretch, 50-60 miles or so & saw not a single car ahead of or behind me in the same lane and only a handful headed south.
Used to love scuba diving Morrison Springs. Best time to get in that water is Jan. and the air temp. is in the 40's... water feels warm then. This time year when you jump in it you turn.. BLUE.
That’s cool!
Had never been there, or even heard of it before. Familiar with Ponce De Leon springs just North of there since we used to do forestry competitions there with the FFA in high school.
When the water got to the small of my back, it took my breath for a moment!
I’m familiar with that cold water from further west where I grew up, but it’s been awhile. I just took the plunge after that and a minute or so later, it felt great!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I actually thought of you as we headed North towards Quincy, driving through Tate’s “Hades” SF and Apalachicola NF. Looked like a place you’d be right at home in! I actually drove that entire stretch, 50-60 miles or so & saw not a single car ahead of or behind me in the same lane and only a handful headed south.

I`ve done got too old and don`t want to go back in debt but I would love to own a homestead in the Southern edge of Tate`s **** and-or the Apalachicola National Forest. It`s the perfect area for isolation, fresh and saltwater fishing, and turkey hunting. For me anyway. Hundreds of thousands of acres as your backyard would be a good thing. No racket, no light pollution, very few people and they are probably just as standoffish and ornery as I am, and the Gulf right down the road a piece. Plus, no worries about a hunting lease, getting permission to hunt, nor risk the chance of losing your hunting rights for whatever reason. Yea, I could live there.

Redbow

Thanks-I had no idea, either!
The Estuarium I referenced visiting in NC isn’t too far from you, actually. It is located in Washington.
I took that long scenic route a few years ago just to get a shot of the Hatteras lighthouse myself. Think it was like 50 miles or so there and back for a pic, but was worth it! Did a museum or two while down there too, so made the trip more worthwhile.
Got a distance shot of the Cape lookout lighthouse in April as well. Think that’s near you also.
Wanted to ferry to it, but it was closed to climbing and paying for 4 to get over there wasn’t worth it, since I’m the only one with a true interest!
Oh yes Cape Lookout light we used to take the boat over there and fish quite a bit in that area, done got too old to make those trips anymore. I also love Ocracoke last time we were there Ocracoke lighthouse was getting a fresh make over. We need to go back over there soon before time closes the door on us. Cape Lookout light isn't that far from us we can see the light from it over at a friend of mine's beach house at Indian Beach NC.

Geffellz18

Oh yes Cape Lookout light we used to take the boat over there and fish quite a bit in that area, done got too old to make those trips anymore. I also love Ocracoke last time we were there Ocracoke lighthouse was getting a fresh make over. We need to go back over there soon before time closes the door on us. Cape Lookout light isn't that far from us we can see the light from it over at a friend of mine's beach house at Indian Beach NC.
Wanted to ferry to Ocracoke, but found out it was an all day affair. 2.5hrs each way on the boat.
We would more than likely had to overnight there or only spend an hour or two max on island when we looked at the ferry arrival/departure times. Place looks like a cool spot to visit. It just wasn’t in the cards, unfortunately!

Redbow

Wanted to ferry to Ocracoke, but found out it was an all day affair. 2.5hrs each way on the boat.
We would more than likely had to overnight there or only spend an hour or two max on island when we looked at the ferry arrival/departure times. Place looks like a cool spot to visit. It just wasn’t in the cards, unfortunately!
Yep, going over to Ocracoke from Cedar Island is a 2 and one half hour ride by ferry. And its an all day affair getting back to Cedar Island. No-one wants to get stuck on Ocracoke during tourist season without motel reservations. If you do you will spend the night on the beach in your car, that happened to a friend of mine.

When we go to Ocracoke we also go on to Hatteras Island and spend some time there, then go back to Ocracoke for the evening departure back to Cedar Island. If you miss that last ferry to the mainland you are sunk for sure and in for a night of misery if you can't get a room over there, they fill up quickly in summer. The best time to go to the NC Outer Banks is in the winter months, no tourists and very little traffic. The last time we went to Ocracoke in December there were only 3 other cars and about a half dozen other folks coming back to the mainland with us on the ferry.