The decline of UGA football ....a theory for CMR blinder boys.

x-mark

We must be honest about Mark Richt’s career at Georgia.

And to be honest we need to understand who was truly responsible for most of Mark Richt’s success as a head coach at Georgia.

The man responsible for most of Mark Richt’s success at Georgia is not Mark Richt. It’s Brian Van Gorder.

Follow my logic. When Brian Van Gorder left the Bulldogs, he did so under very strange circumstances. In the last few years it came to light that he left because Michael Adams refused to pay him what BVG felt he, as Broyles Award winning DC, was worth, and even worse, that Richt didn’t back him in request to be properly compensated.

Why would Richt not back his DC?

Maybe because Richt wanted his former college roommate to be DC? Maybe? That is conjecture on my part. What we do know is, Adams didn’t pay BVG a fair contract, so he left. And then Richt promoted his good friend and former failed defensive coordinator to the position of Georgia’s DC.

Georgia DID win the SEC in 2005, with all of the BVG coached players on defense, but some subtle things began to change. The secondary exclusively began playing zone coverage, with no man coverage mixed in. Corners playing 10 yards off the line. An even more subtle change happened to the team: sideline discipline became an issue. How many times did we see Georgia get sideline warnings? That never happened with BVG patrolling the sideline.

Then the first obvious harbinger of things to come: being run out of the building by WVU in the first half of the Sugar Bowl. The Bulldog defense looked disjointed, like they weren’t properly prepared by coaches to play the game.

2006 continued the trends seen in 2005. The defense started giving up yards and points at levels not seen at Georgia… ever. This was made worse by Richt waffling on the QB situation for weeks. Sideline discipline continued to be poor. Players were seen acting unprofessional on the sideline, dancing and acting foolish, not at all focused on the task at hand. This was a team now run by Richt and Martinez.

2007 saw a head-scratching blow out by Tennessee because Georgia’s DC was unable or unwilling to adapt his defense to what was happening on the field. It saw a loss to SC that cost the Dawgs a shot at the MNC because the defense couldn’t stop the runs that everyone knew was coming. Discipline on the field was becoming a problem. Stupid penalties lengthened drives. But the Bulldogs got hot at the right time. Why? Because Marcus Howard, the last player coached under Brian Van Gorder, decided to play with discipline and unmitigated want-to, and he single-handedly saved Georgia’s season. Mark Richt embarrassed himself and the program by telling his team to commit a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The dancing and carrying on on the sidelines, the abject indiscipline and lack of focus on the sideline was reaching a fever pitch.

2008 began with an embarrassing string of arrests that would make Urban Meyer blush. Arrests that NEVER happened while BVG was the voice of discipline at Georgia. Nine arrests over the summer. NINE. The team came out, ranked number one, but by now, the unprofessionalism fostered by lackadaisical approach to discipline fostered by Richt and Martinez had so infested the team. The inmates now ran the asylum. For the FOURTH straight season under Martinez, Georgia gave up more points and more yards per game than the year before, yet Richt refused to even DISCUSS Martinez’s job status. He refused to hold Martinez accountable, just like Martinez and Richt were not holding their players accountable on and off the field. Personal foul penalties became rampant this season at UGA. Hitting the QB late. Hitting out of bounds late. Georgia was now the most penalizing team in the SEC. And the inexplicable blow outs continued.

2009 brought with it what was thought to be rock bottom. More arrests over the summer. Not nine, but more arrests still. That undisciplined nature of the team showed itself on the field yet again. This time, Georgia just didn’t lead the SEC in penalties, it was the second-worst penalized team in ALL of college football!!! And still, the players were allowed to dance and act foolish on the sideline, showing no respect for the game or for their coaches or for the fans. For the FIFTH straight year, Georgia gave up more yards and points per game than the year before, a run of defensive ineptitude that stands alone in Georgia’s once-proud defensive history. Willie Martinez set records for his defense. Finally, Richt relented, firing Martinez. The fact is… HE SHOULD HAVE NEVER PROMOTED MARTINEZ IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Now this summer, with TEN ARRESTS. A new DC comes in, but he can’t bring discipline to where the inmates run the asylum. Todd Grantham has tried. We’ve seen him yell. Saw it in the Spring Game. Saw it in the first game. Haven’t seen it again. Why? Because Grantham knows this is a losing proposition. He sees what Mark Richt has wrought and knows he has no chance. No chance at all.

On top of that Richt has publicly criticised grantham for using "Harsh languge" in his attempts to dicipline and fire up his troops?

Look at the choices and decisions made by Mark Richt over the last five-plus years of this program without the name “Mark Richt” attatched to the choices decisions, and ask yourselves, would you HONESTLY want this man to run the program? His name is blurring the reality of the situation HE has placed OUR program in.

He appears to have passive-aggresively backed Martinez over BVG as the DC by not backing BVG’s request to be fairly compensated.

He allowed his team to become an undisciplined mess on the sidelines during games. This spilled over into the games themselves, and then after the games with the embarrassing arrests.

He continued to defend the indefensible Soft Willie Martinez, putting his personal relationship with this man over the FACTS piling up about just how badly Martinez was ruining the defense and the program.

Think about that. Richt put his friendship with Martinez FIRST. BEFORE THE TEAM.

And THAT’S the man y’all want as the head coach? Because of what he did six years ago?

Richt doesn’t hold his players accountable. He doesn’t hold his coaches accountable.

It’s about darn time we and Greg McGarrity and Michael Adams hold RICHT accountable.

HighCotton

Pretty darn good analysis.

All the CMR loyalists will continue to call for 1 more year. But I think even his loyal supporters are now waivering.

I don't think McGarity wants to fire CMR in his first year as AD. For that reason alone, I think CMR gets another year... but ONLY if the remainder of the season is better than the start.

Losses to Fla and Auburn are "forgiveable". That would put UGA 0-5 in the SEC. Wins against Tenn, Ky, and Vandy would be absolute must wins and put UGA at 3-5 in the SEC.

Lose any of those 3 and I think McGarity has no choice.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Pretty good post. I agree with a lot of it. But you were a bit misleading about the lack of arrests under Van Gorder. It wasn't as bad as it is now, but do the names Odell Thurman and Derrcik White ring a bell? They were there during the Van Gorder years and whats more, were both defensive players who Van Gorder had under his thumb. They were both complete thugs.

That doesn't negate what you said. it wasn't meant to. We definitely have a big problem.

AU Bassman

Been there, done that and even got the T shirt.

One of Tubs biggest flaws was his loyalty to his asst. coaches. Some had been with him at Ole miss and at Auburn to the tune of fifteen or more years. That in my opinion is beyond way too long, and the program suffered because of it.

There was talk that if Tubs got rid of all his asst. coaches he could stay, seeing what he had accomplished during his stay. Don't know or care since he is long gone and we have a staff now that is doing a heck of a job in their second year.

As for Richt, You can see it in his eyes and sideline demeanor. Same as Tuberville his last year. The fire just is not there anymore. Tubs put his asst coaches first and it got him run off among other things.

Time to turn the page at UGA before things get completetly out of hand, if they are not already.

Great post by the way!

x-mark

Pretty good post. I agree with a lot of it. But you were a bit misleading about the lack of arrests under Van Gorder. It wasn't as bad as it is now, but do the names Odell Thurman and Derrcik White ring a bell? They were there during the Van Gorder years and whats more, were both defensive players who Van Gorder had under his thumb. They were both complete thugs.

That doesn't negate what you said. it wasn't meant to. We definitely have a big problem.

Odell yup.......how could Iforget odell.

Great football player ....complete thug too.

I remember when he intercepted jason campbell's pass on the goaline and returned it for a TD back in 03'.

There is always going to be a few"bad apples" on any team.

But 10 arrests! Thats like 15%. :hair:

Sugar HillDawg

X-mark, if that's true about Adams being chintzy with BVG,that's unforgivable and EVERYONE knows Richt wouldn't have let those coaches go last year if he wasn't backed into a corner. Buck Belue said he wouldn't be surprised if Richt just up and resigned after this season because of all the flak he is catching-I saw why wait 'til then !!!!!

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Excellent post, and further proof that Richt is not a great coach, and even his status as a "good" coach is in question when that analysis is applied.

GAranger1403

One of the best post ever by a UGA fan. I have always been a CMR supporter, but I am afraid the monster he has created is way beyond his control.

gin house

you know, im not trying to get blasted by the dawg nation on here but im coming around to the coaching problem. at first i wasnt really buyin it but am now but another thing i see, i might be wrong as ive been told how "gifted and talented" the uga players are. to me there isnt the talent that uga usually has. sure, theres a.j., houston and murray will be good but who else??????? oh, ben jones is a good o lineman. i know the recruiting class numbers but even without coaching looks like talented players would make some plays?? i just dont see it?? short burst of want to here and there but nothin jumps out at me.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Excellent post, and further proof that Richt is not a great coach, and even his status as a "good" coach is in question when that analysis is applied.

Sorry Bub... Richt is at least a GOOD coach.. He has earned that right in the SEC and if you earn that right in the SEC than you can earn the right as a GREAT coach anywhere in the country. He has earned more RESPECT with WINS than just about any coach in college football. He has done more in UGA history or SEC history in the short period of time he has been there outside of winning a NC. Coming from a Offensive Coordinator in the ACC to a HC in the SEC he has done great things. If you want to talk STATS then I'll wake you up.. But until then.. There is not anyone on this board with a right mind that will not agree that Richt is "AT LEAST" a "GOOD" coach.... We are having our coaching issues but the man is a "GOOD" coach... He may just not be the one for UGA, right "NOW"..

Last edited:

GAranger1403

CMR may be the best coach ever at UGA, certainly percentage wise he has to be. Don't think he can do what is expected at UGA right now. Honestly I'm not sure anyone can!

ugafish

I have to agree with the original post. I was really disappointed when BVG left. We wouldn't have been as good without that great D. Think back to the SC game when Pollack sack/int the ball in the endzone. Or when Sean Jones strips the ball from Clausen when Tenn is fixin' to score and runs it back for a touchdown, that completely changed that game. If it wasn't for the aggressive D, the Dogs would have been middle of the pack. I see the same D coming around now with the Falcons.