The Evaluation

allaboutshooting

Several months ago, after an number of inquiries about what choke worked best and in what gun, with the new Winchester Long Beard (WLB) shotshells, I decided that I would evaluate those shells through a variety of commercially made turkey chokes. I wanted to try to use the most popular guns used for turkey hunting as well as the turkey choke brands that are most discussed on Internet forums and produce the largest number of inquiries.

I had to make a few decisions before beginning the project including limiting the chokes to commercial makers. To be as fair as possible, I decided to ask each manufacturer to submit the choke, of any thread type, that they thought would do best with 3” WLB shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot. Most manufactures responded enthusiastically and some did not respond at all.

When all of the chokes were assembled, I had thread types for the Benelli “Crio”, Benelli “Mobil”, Win-Choke/Invector, Invector Plus, Rem-Choke, and Mossberg Accu-Mag for 835/935 shotguns. Consequently, I chose a Benelli Vinci, Benelli SBE, Mossberg 930, Browning BPS, Remington 11-87 and a Mossberg 835 shotgun for the evaluations. All shotguns had the same barrel length.

In the end, I had 32 different choke configurations that I shot through the 6 different shotguns. I shot each choke/gun/shell 3 times for a total of 96 shots. All were shot under similar conditions and in turkey hunting temperatures that many of us will encounter in spring and fall hunts.

The evaluation was as objective as I could make it and when you see the targets, the charts and read the article, you'll note that I draw no conclusions as to which choke performed the best in any particular shotgun. The reader can examine all of the results and draw his own conclusion.

The article will appear the the next “Turkey Country” magazine that should be in your mailbox in the next could of weeks. I hope you find it informative and helpful.

Thanks,
Clark

icdedturkes

Wow so glad you wasted so much bandwidth on the forums only to put it in a magazine maybe half the folks get. :cheers:

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Wow so glad you wasted so much bandwidth on the forums only to put it in a magazine maybe half the folks get. :cheers:

Yeah, that is kinda disappointing. Y'all tell me how it ends.

Mudfeather

Heres what i'm doing....blah...blah...blah....

giving constant updates.....weather.....blah...blah....blah....

What happened?.....

Get the NWTF mag and find out....

If a date don't want to...... you know.....I'm cool with that...

What I aint cool with is a tease...::ke:

Reminex

If a date don't want to...... you know.....I'm cool with that...

What I aint cool with is a tease...::ke:

Much like "the most interesting man in the world" would say....Real men do not know what a tease is.

I would expect such a comprehensive project by someone of his stature to be picked up by a national publication. I doubt I will ever shoot a bird with longbeard, but cant wait to see the work. Wish it was not so close to our season where the info will be missed by all the guys looking to be setup now.

Gaswamp

it won't be in my mailbox

SGaither

Really folk? Some of you are getting twisted by a review of products that you didn't have any money invested in? I doubt Clark ever got paid by anyone on here for his time and work. If you're interested in his findings stop complaining because he told you what he was doing months ago and spend the couple bucks and buy the magazine.

spydermon

I'd expect all tests to be somewhat similar from a shell that seems to shoot well from most any choke of decent construction per gun model. I'm feeling that's the reason for all the long beard "specific" chokes all of a sudden..

Nice shell for lead, great results and I'm sure a nice little article too. Not sure how it went from "just a test" to nwtf magazines, but that's how it usually is. He is the "shooter" of the bunch!

Timber1

BANNED
It will be before the article on how to make peach preserves and after the one on how to match chair and throw pillows.

Gaswamp

It will be before the article on how to make peach preserves and after the one on how to match chair and throw pillows.

:flag: yep

turkeykirk

Great reading there for today's turkey hunters. Helps to broaden your knowledge! :biggrin2: