The Go Vols Pre-Fall Update and Prediction Thread

joepuppy

With the summer almost over and football right around the corner, I thought I'd share the love and provide an update and a bit of prediction for my Vols(see Olive Branch Thread). The Vols return off a disappointing first 5-7 first season for CJP, with only optimism. Everywhere I have read has us slated to win at least 6 this year and make at least a Belk Bowl or it's equivalent. Some say as high as 9 wins, some as low as the minimum 6. I'm going with a 8 win season, and maybe an Outback Bowl. We return a stable of WR's, and most of our RB's. Guarantano returns with a slightly better and seasoned O-line that should show a leap in progress. Pretty much, if they can protect him, it will be a good year. If not, we will struggle with even the lightest on our schedule. Defense was terrible last year, giving up more than 30 points in half of their games. That should be improved under Pruitt. This is our easiest schedule I've seen in recent years, so the Vols better take advantage of it. We do not have the depth to compete with UGA or BAMA, but we have added beef up front with serious gains in the weight room. I believe we are still a couple of years from being a threat in the East. I am picking UT to upset the gators this year as a breakout game. Maybe wishful thinking, but I think it's our best shot. Here's my preseason picks for my Vols. You guys feel free to chime in and give your thoughts. Maybe this will be enough to drag the ole' Slayer out of hiding. I shall bump it to the top until we wake him.

VS GA State Win, 42-13
VS BYU Win, 21-3
VS Chattanooga Win, 41-10
@ UF Win, 28-24
VS UGA Loss, 35-13
VS Miss ST Win, 21-14
@Bama Loss, 44-14
VS SC Win, 24-20
VS UAB Win, 28-3
@ KY Loss, 21-13
@Mizzou Loss, 44-21
VS Vandy Win, 28-14

SpotandStalk

The Mizzou and Uga will be closer than you're anticipating in my opinion. We'll find out more about Pruitt this yr. I think the man has what it takes to compete for the East once depth isnt as much of an issue.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Not too sure about your BYU prediction. I think y'all's chances against Mizzou are better than that too but your Vols never fail to fail so there's that to consider.

Matthew6

Banned thug
I would be concerned about UAB. If you play that game in Birmingham I believe you will definitely lose it

Matthew6

Banned thug
With the summer almost over and football right around the corner, I thought I'd share the love and provide an update and a bit of prediction for my Vols(see Olive Branch Thread). The Vols return off a disappointing first 5-7 first season for CJP, with only optimism. Everywhere I have read has us slated to win at least 6 this year and make at least a Belk Bowl or it's equivalent. Some say as high as 9 wins, some as low as the minimum 6. I'm going with a 8 win season, and maybe an Outback Bowl. We return a stable of WR's, and most of our RB's. Guarantano returns with a slightly better and seasoned O-line that should show a leap in progress. Pretty much, if they can protect him, it will be a good year. If not, we will struggle with even the lightest on our schedule. Defense was terrible last year, giving up more than 30 points in half of their games. That should be improved under Pruitt. This is our easiest schedule I've seen in recent years, so the Vols better take advantage of it. We do not have the depth to compete with UGA or BAMA, but we have added beef up front with serious gains in the weight room. I believe we are still a couple of years from being a threat in the East. I am picking UT to upset the gators this year as a breakout game. Maybe wishful thinking, but I think it's our best shot. Here's my preseason picks for my Vols. You guys feel free to chime in and give your thoughts. Maybe this will be enough to drag the ole' Slayer out of hiding. I shall bump it to the top until we wake him.

VS GA State Win, 42-13
VS BYU Win, 21-3
VS Chattanooga Win, 41-10
@ UF Win, 28-24
VS UGA Loss, 35-13
VS Miss ST Win, 21-14
@Bama Loss, 44-14
VS SC Win, 24-20
VS UAB Win, 28-3
@ KY Loss, 21-13
@Mizzou Loss, 44-21
VS Vandy Win, 28-14
That is a super easy schedule slayer should be happy with that

BuckNasty83

Swap UF and UK and I think this is about right. UK should fall back to their rightful place this year. They lost Snell at RB, which was all they had and their 1st rounder off the d line. Missouri is a tossup, but if I were betting today, I'd give them the edge

DannyW

A few weeks ago I read an article which predicted TN would upset UGA. The writer's reasoning was that UGA would be coming off a bye week after a tough game with Notre Dame, and with a long stretch of SEC games in front of them. In other words it would be easy for UGA to overlook TN. Especially playing at their place, a little out of sync from not playing for 2 weeks, and they may not be completely focused.

I don't agree with the writer's prediction but his line of reasoning had some logic.

joepuppy

The Florida game will tell us a lot about our team this year. It's the first test in the SEC for us, and in Sept. to boot. I can't see a UGA upset, but it should be closer than the last couple of contest.

bass4fun

VS GA State Win, 55-13 (tune up & comfortable win)
VS BYU Win, 24-17 (closer than you think)
VS Chattanooga Win, 59-10 (Blow-out...more than you have it)
@ UF Win, 23-27 (Close hard fought game, come up short for Vols in Swamp)
VS UGA Loss, 20-41 (I see UGA as a 21 pt fav, we don't have the depth to compete)
VS Miss ST Win, 24-20 (Toss up game, Miss St lost a lot of talent from last year & it's at Neyland)
@Bama Loss, 45-21 (Just hoping we don't lose by more than 24)
VS SC Win, 24-23 (Should have won last year, toss up game this season...again, glad it's at Neyland)
VS UAB Win, 34-17(Close out of the gate, then healthy margin of V, maybe by 17)
@ KY Loss, 28-20 (We got this one, they lost a ton from last season)
@Mizzou Loss, 31-24 (Loss...if we chose to play poorly for one game every season...this is always the game)
VS Vandy Win, 37-17 (Win, finally the world is in proper order)

Season 7-5. Overall improvement, but when you're scraping the bottom...only one way to go...up. Improvements made mainly through recruiting, better fundamental coaching, and a better strength & Conditioning program.

Looking forward to watching games. UT is my team, but a fan of football. I love the game and hate seeing kids hurt...so here's hoping for a great season and no major injuries.

Last edited:

joepuppy

VS GA State Win, 55-13 (tune up & comfortable win)
VS BYU Win, 24-17 (closer than you think)
VS Chattanooga Win, 59-10 (Blow-out...more than you have it)
@ UF Win, 23-27 (Close hard fought game, come up short for Vols in Swamp)
VS UGA Loss, 20-41 (I see UGA as a 21 pt fav, we don't have the depth to compete)
VS Miss ST Win, 24-20 (Toss up game, Miss St lost a lot of talent from last year & it's at Neyland)
@Bama Loss, 45-21 (Just hoping we don't lose by more than 24)
VS SC Win, 24-23 (Should have won last year, toss up game this season...again, glad it's at Neyland)
VS UAB Win, 34-17(Close out of the gate, then healthy margin of V, maybe by 17)
@ KY Loss, 28-20 (We got this one, they lost a ton from last season)
@Mizzou Loss, 31-24 (Loss...if we chose to play poorly for one game every season...this is always the game)
VS Vandy Win, 37-17 (Win, finally the world is in proper order)

Season 7-5. Overall improvement, but when you're scraping the bottom...only one way to go...up. Improvements made mainly through recruiting, better fundamental coaching, and a better strength & Conditioning program.

Looking forward to watching games. UT is my team, but a fan of football. I love the game and hate seeing kids hurt...so here's hoping for a great season and no major injuries.
I can agree with that. Welcome from a fellow Vol, come hang out in the official UT thread this year with us. We are few in number, but we make up for it with quality.:cheers::cheers:

bilgerat

Senior
I say another 5 WIN season is ahead
VS Ga St= WIN 28-14
VS BYU= LOSS 21-7
VS Chatt = Win 38-7 feeling good at 2 and 1
VS UF = LOSS 41-27 blow out
VS UGA =LOSS 52- 12 gets a stomping
VS Miss St, = LOSS 37-30 Hangover from two blowout losses in a row
VS BAMA = LOSS 48-28 nutter blow out
VS SC= Win 32-14 finally a decent win
VS UAB=' LOSS 21-17 hard fought game
VS KY= WIN 31-17
VS Mo= loss 34-28
VS Vandy=WIN 42-38 IN A BATTLE

bass4fun

VS Ga St= WIN 28-14
VS BYU= LOSS 21-7
VS KY= WIN 31-17
VS Mo= loss 34-28

Seriously dude...losing to BYU (could happen, but doubt by that margin at home) & lose to UAB (which I don't discount, but you're predicting we beat SC, KY, & Vandy, hang close to Miss St & Mizz...and still see us losing these two games? C'mon man.

joepuppy

VS Ga St= WIN 28-14
VS BYU= LOSS 21-7
VS KY= WIN 31-17
VS Mo= loss 34-28

It's too early to be in the brown likker.

BuckNasty83

VS Ga St= WIN 28-14
VS BYU= LOSS 21-7
VS KY= WIN 31-17
VS Mo= loss 34-28
Not this year, not with this staff and with the o line gaining 50lbs. We're not going to the playoffs, but the Vols will shock a lot of people this year. Too much for me to break down, but our o line was one of the worst in the country last year. They were undersized and bringing in 3rd string to play as backups and our best 2 ol guys missed the entire season. Yet Ty Chandler still managed to have a 5.5 ypc avg. Guarantano still managed to be very effective, with an o line that ranked around 119th in the country. Chaney will have this offense rolling. Pruitt can focus on being HC instead of OC, DC, AND HC. We will be much improved this year.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
8 wins and 4 close games. Every game in the SEC is loseable.