The Good Samaritan

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
My Grandson and I made the short trip to Carter's Lake for a break in the doldrums which fall between deer season and turkey season.

As we pulled up to the head of the boat ramp at Doll Mountain, I noticed a very stooped and frail elderly man struggling to negotiate the rather steep boat ramp pushing an ancient shopping cart. It was obvious that the cart was heavily laden with gear which I assumed was bank fishing paraphanalia, including a five gallon bucket topped off with his jacket.

As we stopped to take our turn at the ramp, I directed Ben to go help the ol' gentleman with his cart.

Ben immediately hurried down the ramp and offered his services. For reasons unknown, the old man resisted the offer of help, but Ben insisted and proceeded to take the cart from him and push it up the ramp.

As Ben pushed the cart by me I noted that the bucket and cart were laden with freshly broken, gray slate looking jagged rocks.

As I backed down the ramp I started to notice that the Corp of Engineers had recently repaired the boat ramp with several loads of freshly quarried, gray, slate looking rip rap. At that point I realized that I had dispatched Ben to assist a very old and physically challenged gentleman in his scheme to commit a felony by stealing U. S. Govt. Property.

The Lord only knows what he was gonna do with those rocks. We now understand why he didn't desire any assistance!! We blew his cover.

Stuff Happens.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
ben, i ain't never met ya, but i know ya got a good heart....... even as an accomplice!!:bounce::bounce::bounce: :whip: