The official GA Snake ID thread

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
How about the Rough Green Snake ,Queen Snake ,Ribbon Snake ,Northern Redbelly Snake ,Eastern Smooth Green Snake ,Kirtland's Snake . I guess no Massasauga rattlers?

Why would the south have a Northern snake? :fine:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
It's all relative!!:whip::whip: Why would the south have a Canada Goose or for that matter, a Snow Goose?:)

trust me, we don't want your stinkin' geese down hear.:banginghe :bounce:

repoman34

Banned
So it looks like this one didn't get the sticky. oh well. Hope it helps someone here anyway

davis211

Nice pics, thanks. I've had trouble with copperheads around here and have had a couple of dogs get bit. The vet said that the copperhead's bite was not near as bad as a rattler's bite. The dogs were given antibiotics and benedryl - seemed fine a few days later. I've only seen rattler bites on tv and they were really bad - at least they normally give you a warning.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nice pics, thanks. I've had trouble with copperheads around here and have had a couple of dogs get bit. The vet said that the copperhead's bite was not near as bad as a rattler's bite. The dogs were given antibiotics and benedryl - seemed fine a few days later. I've only seen rattler bites on tv and they were really bad - at least they normally give you a warning.

Don't count on a warning. From what I've seen, they will rattle about maybe half the time. A lot of them won't rattle until you are directly harrssing them in some way...trying to catch or kill them or acting like an idiot and poking them with a stick or something like that. The weather seems to play a part in that too.....when it's cold outside and you catch a big old EDB sunning itself outside a gopher burrow it's likely not to rattle....or, if it does it's a sort of half-hearted rattle. I've captured a number of them that never rattled at all during the entire capture....and some that wouldn't quit rattling even after they were in a bag or tranport box.

Their first-line strategy is usually to lay still and quiet and hope you'll go away.

fishinbub

No pic of a black rat snake? It's the most common by far on our place. Saw two yesterday, one was a good 6-7 feet long and at least as big around as my wrist. Not poisonous but if he got a hold of you, you would most definitely know it. If I see him again I'll post a pic for reference.

repoman34

Banned
Black Rat Snake
elaobsobs15.jpg

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Black Rat snakes are not non-venomous. They are harmless to humans. There is a difference.

mattellis2

Black Rat snakes are not non-venomous. They are harmless to humans. There is a difference.

interesting...i had never heard that before. i also did not realize you were a snake guy. do you keep any?

here is the last black rat i caught around my house.

290zdvp.jpg

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
interesting...i had never heard that before. i also did not realize you were a snake guy. do you keep any?

here is the last black rat i caught around my house.

290zdvp.jpg

Yeah, I'm a snake guy.....35 years on and off working in herpetology/herpetoculture in one discipline or another. I do not keep any animals any more, but I have kept as many as 250 animals under my direct care at times.

In reality, the only snakes known to actually be non-venomous are the boids (boas and pythons). If you have any background in toxicology, herpetology, or venom studies, for some interesting reading, look up some of the papers by Bryan G Fry. A good start would be to google Alpha Colubritoxin and go from there.

bigox911

One of those rat snakes parachuted out of a tree and tried to carry off TNGirl last year at FPG. They're vicious!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7DMZ8D2r2AY&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7DMZ8D2r2AY&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

She had to stop filming and ::gone:

Last edited:

DCHunter

If I ever come across a Hognose snake, I'm going to have to assume it's a water moccasin and kill it.

crackerdave

The very first snake repo listed - "southern copperhead" - says right below "timber rattlesnake." A copperhead is NOT a rattlesnake.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
RIP Repoman.
This was, in my opinion, his best thread. I was not around for the banishment but many tried to warn him over and over.

swamp hunter

Yea , I miss him already. Shame to see the real Pot Stirrers Booted out sooner or later. Good thread RepoMan RIP.