The Ol 'NAVIGABILITY' debate

Philhutch80

Banned
I understand different laws,,,,but to own part of a river,ridiculous,,,,do people who have lake property own the lake water?If the property owner wants to dam the river on his land,can he?
I'm not saying the fishermen floating the river should have access to the owners land,except to navigate around an obsticle,,,,

Agree with this thought. I have not floated the Toccoa but I did fish it several times this year. I have heard that there are people who own property on both sides who have threatened fishermen floating through with shotguns and have posted 'No Fishing' signs. Georgia would benefit greatly in the pocketbook to take a look at fixing this law.

Cmp1

BANNED
Agree with this thought. I have not floated the Toccoa but I did fish it several times this year. I have heard that there are people who own property on both sides who have threatened fishermen floating through with shotguns and have posted 'No Fishing' signs. Georgia would benefit greatly in the pocketbook to take a look at fixing this law.
Agree,IMO,,,,there's a small stream,I mean maybe 3 ft wide here,prolly full of crawdads,,,,would love to get in there,but that's different than a river,,,,

fish hawk

Bass Master
I understand different laws,,,,but to own part of a river,ridiculous,,,,do people who have lake property own the lake water?If the property owner wants to dam the river on his land,can he?
I'm not saying the fishermen floating the river should have access to the owners land,except to navigate around an obsticle,,,,
It has a lot to do with money,politics and large plantation owners

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
This thread needs to point to the ga vs. Tocooa river land owner discussion. That is the only time ive heard of it being a big deal and the state getting involved and setting regulations

Mexican Squealer

I’ve seen it be a big deal in floating creeks/rivers to shoot ducks on many occasions...the regulations have been in place since the days of barge traffic and the State will get involved in a second if the landowner chooses. I own land on both sides of a tributary of the Flint and can keep floaters out if I choose to....which I don’t and don’t have an issue with it. But if I did, one call, that’s all...

JakkBauer

I’ve seen it be a big deal in floating creeks/rivers to shoot ducks on many occasions...the regulations have been in place since the days of barge traffic and the State will get involved in a second if the landowner chooses. I own land on both sides of a tributary of the Flint and can keep floaters out if I choose to....which I don’t and don’t have an issue with it. But if I did, one call, that’s all...
you should just pick one poor chump and not allow him access while his buddies get to pass for the lols

mamatried

Well, don`t float down it. If you do, don`t get caught.

I have floated the ichawaynochaway creek multiple times without hesitation. Have met people who own houses/property on the creek with no fuss. I don't know the specifics but believe once you get to Joseph Jones you are considered trespassing. There is an old dam which will stop you from entering Joseph Jones. Now coming up the ich from the Flint is obviously a different story. They like "their" shoal bass and crawdads too much

Mack in N.C.

I really like fishing in Jawga but this is one reason I love living in nc. Most streams in nc if you can float it it is ok to do so. There are a few exceptions but it is rare . and If a landowner owns to the middle and/or both sides you can still float and fish you just cant walk/wade on the bottom. Most property lines stop at the river but not all but like i said if you dont wade you are ok. Virginia has worse navagation lws but not as bad as Jawga. The only real problem you run into in NC are on trout streams and 99 percent of the time those that are off limits are too small to float anyway.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I have floated the ichawaynochaway creek multiple times without hesitation. Have met people who own houses/property on the creek with no fuss. I don't know the specifics but believe once you get to Joseph Jones you are considered trespassing. There is an old dam which will stop you from entering Joseph Jones. Now coming up the ich from the Flint is obviously a different story. They like "their" shoal bass and crawdads too much

Don`t try putting in at 91.

mamatried

Yeah I definitely don't put in at 91. Its really steep down to the water from the road + that's all Joseph Jones land. Typically put in at CR 69 which I think is called Rentz bridge or put in at 216 but havnt gone up there since they were redoing the road/bridge.