"The Outdoor Scene" by Sue Jones for 03/06/2008

Researcher31726

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hello,
This week's column in The Citizen News featured comments from several Woodyites: Rita Rooney (aka lilbassinlady), Mike Taylor (buckmanmike), and Jackson Hammack (Hammack).
Appreciate everyone's help! Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoy writing it!
Sue

The Outdoor Scene
By Sue Jones

If you ever wake up after a long hard night’s sleep and you’re not sure where you are, Smokey suggests that you turn on the TV and check out the weather. Days in the 80’s to nights in the high 30’s; warm breezy days to stormy bone-chilling afternoons. Where else but southwest Georgia? We’re hoping that everyone is staying safe and keeping an eye on the weather. I talked with my Aunt Evelyn Jones the other night. She happened to be in Prattville, AL the day those twisters went through. She praised the Lord that thefolks where she was at weren’t hurt and they didn’t have any damage. However, neighbors a couple of blocks away weren’t as fortunate with their homes.
The Meadow Links with George T. Bagby State Park near Ft. Gaines will be hosting two tournaments in coming weeks, Aaron Feyes, the resident golf shared. The Junior Southeastern Tournament will be the weekend of March 15 and 16th, while the Georgia Junior tour will be there March 29th and 30th. The Georgia tour is for young people ages 6 to 18. “The weekends get kinda hectic.” Some college tourneys are scheduled starting in April. Teeing off at the links is only one of the ways that folks can enjoy this park in Clay County.
The George T. Bagby State Park will hosting its Crappie Tournament on Saturday, March 22nd, with launch at 7:00 AM and weigh-ins at 3:00 PM. This slab is one several fish that draws anglers of all ages to Lake Walter F. George. We’re proud of the Bagby folks for hosting the tourney, reminding folks that they can cast off from the Georgia side of the ‘Hooch just as easily. For more details, please call 229-768-2571. Up the river at Florence Marina State Park at Omaha, there will be the annual Easter Egg Hunt. Pack the kids in the car and take them there with their baskets so they can hunt eggs and different prizes. The Easter Bunny told Smokey that he’s going to be on hand, too! Call 229-838-4706 to find out more. There is a $3 parking charge at both places, so don’t forget your change!
“We are doing really well with the rain situation right now. We haven't missed a week in a pretty good while,” shared Jackson Hammack, one Clay County hunter. “I have a dozer opening up some new plots this weekend, and will start putting out lime, and possibly planting some Iron clay peas and soybeans next week.” What kind of wildlife is venturing out for snacks? “I'm seeing lots of deer at the feeders in the mornings and evenings, but the turkeys are still not being very visible yet in my area. As of right now I am using only corn in my deer feeders, but I plan on switching over to a mix of corn and pellets next time I fill them.” Mike Taylor is another outdoorsman who enjoys getting out in the woods and fields in Randolph County. “I usually plant fall food plots for deer. I am thinking about planting some peanuts this spring. I will plant the large type of peanut so the deer will enjoy and maybe I can get a few for boiling. I love them goobers.”
Some of the people in the Clay and Early Counties’ area have been staying busy, trying to downsize the coyote population because this wild dog cousin is working to deplete the cattle populations. “I've been hunting coyotes since deer season ended. The population is up, and a good friend is having problem with them messing with his cows. We are taking a couple every weekend so far. I haven't had a lot of time to hunt myself, but a couple of my friends have been doing pretty well with the coyotes. They haven't found any dens, but have been using various calls to draw them out into the fields and pasture,” revealed Hammack.
The countdown is on in many places for the opening weekend of spring turkey season in Georgia, Saturday, March 22nd; that’s right, the day before the Easter Bunny visits everyone’s homes. “I have hunted turkey in the past but have not harvested one yet,” Mike Taylor admitted. “I allow some close friends to hunt our property and they have taken several.” He related an incident that makes most of us envious. “This last deer season I went to a stand and there were about 30 turkeys in my food plot. My wife and I are going to Bass Pro's tomorrow to look for a shotgun for her. If she starts turkey hunting that will get me in the woods more often. Sounds like a good investment.” That’s the truth right there, Mike!
“I can’t wait for turkey season to come!” exclaims Rita Rooney, of Meriwether County. “I've gotten plenty of turkeys in Randolph! I did call in one for Carol that's in the club! We had a blast! Then I called in one for Bob from Tampa! He got his first; it was a big Jake! Two days later he wanted to go again and he got his first big bird! 11-inch beard and inch and quarter spurs! He is definitely hooked on it now. This all happened this last season! I didn't get me one that time, but I sure had fun! Carol, that’s down in Randolph turned me on to turkey hunting seven years ago! She called in my first big bird for me. It weighed 23 pounds, 12-inch beard, and 1 1/2 inch spurs, so naturally I got hooked quickly!! We're the only ones in our club that got one last season! The guys were zero!!” Score one for the ladies in that club!
We heard that the Georgia EPD is describing conditions in the lower Flint River Basin as “more favorable” than they were last year, so they may not keep the area on the severe drought list. However......Smokey and I are both hoping that even if we’re not on that list, that everyone still remembers to try to conserve water a little bit more. We don’t want back on that list. The drought hurt our area somewhat because the lowered water levels on the lakes and rivers kept some of the folks from putting out their boats, either to do fishing or just enjoying a day in the sun. That has a ripple effect on other resources in our area. We like it big-time when people come to see us and they take in the local attractions. Just as we’re rich in hospitality in southwest Georgia, we’re also blessed with many reasons for our visitors to come and have a good time, staying longer, and, yes, spending more money.
Smokey’s Mystery Outdoor Question last week had to do with an animal that (like us) uses different kinds of voices or calls for each situation. What creature uses the kee kee run, cackling, cluck and purr, and purr calls to communicate with its fellowkind? Just ask any turkey hunter! The gobbler does!
I had to laugh the other night at the Dawson Fish House when Mr. Ken Price was giving me another lesson on hunting and fishing. He told a story about his son Britt and a math problem the teacher asked him years ago when he was just a little fella in kindergarten. The teacher asked, “Britt, if there were five crows on a branch, and you shot at one, how many would be left?” The young student Britt didn’t hesitate, “None, teacher!” He was so adamant about his answer that the teacher asked him to explain. Britt told her, “My daddy’s taught me to be such a good shot that when I shoot at something, I hit it, so there goes one crow.” What about the others? “They’re all going to take off flying so they’re not hitting the ground next.” Makes sense. And we do know that so many of our outdoorsmen (and outdoorswomen) started learning to appreciate the wildlife and the outdoors long before they started school!
Smokey’s Mystery Outdoor Question for this week is: “It’s nicknames include ‘tree-rat’ and ‘ole bushy-tail.’ Hunting this animal is a good way to get youngsters ‘nuts’ about the outdoors. What is it?”
Enjoy the pretty weather in the outdoors as much as you can! See you next week!
Sue and Smokey can be reached at researcher31726@yahoo.com.
Copyrighted by Karen Sue Jones, 03/06/2008.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good read as usual. Ah ,I believe the answer is squirrel.:)