Thinking about a T/C Pistol any thoughts?

Taylor Co.

It sounds crazy! But I have watched Larry Weishun shooting deer and sheep with a 30/06 Thompson
pistol, and this looks challenging. But you still have alot of range, you know still be able to cover ground during the rut. Well I suppose that would depend on your skill and accuracy. Just wanting to try something new. :huh:
What are some of you guys thoughts on this?

Handgunner

I had a contender in a .44mag Super 14"... and I didn't care for it much. It was bulky, hard to hold steady when shooting it and just wasn't comfortable to hunt with.

I LOVE my S&W 629 classic though. But it's not long range gun -- maxing out around 100 yards.

Lumpkin Hunter

Go for it.

I purchased an Encore with a 15" barrell two years ago in 30-30 (custom made by their shop at TC--Fox Ridge Customs) and love it. I have taken 3 deer with it so far with shots at 10 yrds, 50 yrds and last year a doe at 90 yrds. The gun shoots very tight groups at 75 yrds, you can cut holes when shooting off of a good solid rest.
Before I bought the pistol I talked to Larry W. and asked him his thoughts. He does shoot a 30-06 due to this is what caliber his rifle is also and he just wanted to stay with the same caliber. I asked him about the 30-30 winchester and what he thought about it. He told me that I should easily be able to harvest deer at 150 + yrds with it with practice. If I was to buy another barrel it would be a 7m08 due to the ballistics and extended range.
I shoot mine off of a Pole Cat monopod shooting stick with great success when hunting. I carry it about 80% of the time during gun season, but at times I do carry my rifle also. No recoil to speak of and it sure is fun to shoot. I would suggest buying a Burris or Nikon scop for it in a 2X6X32 due to how their eye relief works. I have a Bushnell on my and it is great but has a consistant 18" eye relief which needs to be less when on higher powers or when shooting from a tree stand using the tree as a rest. I ususally just leave my set on 2X and it works out great.
Good luck and go for it.

rwg

I'm with Lumpkin Hunter- go for it. I've been shooting the T/Cs for many, many years now. They are fun to shoot and can be very addictive. My go to gun is a 15" SS 338 WinMag that was made by Virgin Valley. It shoots 180gr Nosler Balistic tips into 1-1.5" at 100yds consistently. It has accounted for a few deer over the last couple of seasons. I also have a 15" 300 WinMag and 15" 30-06. The 30-06 is a very sweet shooting round in the Encore. It has a bit of muzzle flip but is not hard to shoot. I also shoot the Contender and have or have had it in 375JDJ, 35Rem, 45-70, 7BR and others I'm probably forgetting. As far as scopes I've used Burris, Leupold, B&L, Bushnell, Simmons, T/C Recoil Proof and all have performed well. I like the Bushnell 2x6 Elites on my Win Mags they fit me well. But I also have done well with the Burris line of Handgun scopes. If you like to shoot handguns then I don't think you can go wrong with The T/C Encore or Contender/G2. Get one then have some fun.

Ronnie

H

HT2

Taylor........

It's a good gun if you are pretty good at shootin' a pistol..........Which I'm not......

I shot a doe years back with my Dad's Contender...........Iron sight at about 60 yards..........I had the 35 remington barrel on it, just aimed for "brown" and she hit the ground...........Hit her right in the neck!!!!!!

I knew it was luck and figured I couldn't ever hit another deer again with it........Put it down and ain't took a pistol to the stand with me again......... :)

Taylor Co.

Thanks for the response guys!

I am going to do some research on the calibers, but I really think that the 30/06 should be awesome ,alot of variations of rounds. Can you shoot Hornady Light Mags? Any standard rifle rounds?
The 30/06 just seems like it would be the most versatile? I dont know. :huh:

Chuck Martin

You can shoot the light mags or any standard rifle round in your T/C. In my pistol set up I'm partial to a 308 myself and have taken some deer and hogs with it. I've got a Bushnell 1.5x4 on mine and an Aimpoint on my 44 mag. You'll have fun, go for it.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
Go for it --- TC G-2 or encore great fun and a challange compared to shooting a rifle

Taylor Co.

Thanks guys!

I appreciate the words of encouragement. The 308 is interesting, I just really like the .30cal. bullet selections. I was not aware of the velocity of the .308 in the light magnums, man those things are hot. How is the recoil or hand shock?

Burl E.

My Girlie pistol

Got 1 in 44 mag and 45/70 hits um' like a freight train! The .44mag kicks alot more than the 45/70. I have poped a 6" saw blade at 200 yards, but I won't shoot at a deer at much over 125 yards. I can hit a deer at farther distance just want to make sure close before I pull the trigger.

Last edited: