Thinking about making a forge.

MissouriBoy

Nothing fancy, just to piddle with and make stuff. Anyone here done a completely hodgepodge home build? What are your recommendations as far as what to get as a beginner?
I envision eventually with enough practice and knowledge to be able to mend horseshoes, and other little things on the farm. Not much of a knife guy, but of course I’d like to try my hand at piddling and making a few with my sons.
Lay some pics, book or website recommendations, or comments on me!

walkinboss01

I made a propane forge out of a Freon can that home AC guys use. I bought a lot of the materials from Wayne Coe. Just google his name, and you’ll see his website. I also asked (Anvilhead) Carl on the forum a lot of questions, and both of these guys were a lot of help. Feel feel to send me a PM with your information and I’ll txt you some pictures. It was ALOT easier than I expected. There are a few things that I would’ve changed, but my little forge does the job just fine.

MissouriBoy

I made a propane forge out of a Freon can that home AC guys use. I bought a lot of the materials from Wayne Coe. Just google his name, and you’ll see his website. I also asked (Anvilhead) Carl on the forum a lot of questions, and both of these guys were a lot of help. Feel feel to send me a PM with your information and I’ll txt you some pictures. It was ALOT easier than I expected. There are a few things that I would’ve changed, but my little forge does the job just fine.
Thank you so much! This is what I was hoping to find out, I did not want to sink a bunch of money into something.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I too, used some info from Anvilhead and some designs I saw online. I made mine out of a freon tank. It's in storage right now, along with all my other tools, but it works fine. Was a really cheap build. The only real expenditures were for insulating wool and satanite for the chamber and I bought a mig welding tip for the torch. Paired with a propane regulator for a deep fryer, it does all a man wants it to for backyard forging.

MissouriBoy

I've been looking up some stuff, but don't know which type of coal or whatever to use for just at home stuff.

Anvil Head

Go to the ABANA website, lot of home build coal forge ideas there. Best hob-up back yard coal forge I ever had was made from a semi truck brake drum - big heavy cast iron, hard to move but you weren't going to knock it over by mistake.
They also have tutorials on making your own charcoal (lot of work), but I had good success with Cowboy Charcoal from Walmart when I couldn't get the real deal. Most BBQ fuel won't hold heat long enough.

I only use Lp these days since it's much quicker to reach forging/welding heats and way more efficient for me. I'm more about working steel than playing with fire. I can usually fabricate a small Lp forge from my scrap pile in short order for around $50. But in all fairness I've built quite a few and have an extensive scrap pile. I have helped quite a few others make their own, but no longer make them to sell. The science has been done and if you follow the recipe you will get results. Ron Reil used to have an extensive site on forge building, but haven't been there in years.

My very first "on my own" forging (my Dad tried to teach me, but I was the hard headed son in the middle) was with the help of my little brother. We masse a pile of pine cones, with my little bro fanning the pile with a trashcan lid, I forged a frog gig of sorts from rebar using my Dad's favorite Eastwing framer on a big rock. Got blisters on my hands and my butt that day. But.....the gig worked pretty good for a 6 year old. (I do a little better work these days.)

Last edited:

MissouriBoy

Go to the ABANA website, lot of home build coal forge ideas there. Best hob-up back yard coal forge I ever had was made from a semi truck brake drum - big heavy cast iron, hard to move but you weren't going to knock it over by mistake.
They also have tutorials on making your own charcoal (lot of work), but I had good success with Cowboy Charcoal from Walmart when I couldn't get the real deal. Most BBQ fuel won't hold heat long enough.

I only use Lp these days since it's much quicker to reach forging/welding heats and way more efficient for me. I'm more about working steel than playing with fire. I can usually fabricate a small Lp forge from my scrap pile in short order for around $50. But in all fairness I've built quite a few and have an extensive scrap pile. I have helped quite a few others make their own, but no longer make them to sell. The science has been done and if you follow the recipe you will get results. Ron Reil used to have an extensive site on forge building, but haven't been there in years.

My very first "on my own" forging (my Dad tried to teach me, but I was the hard headed son in the middle) was with the help of my little brother. We masse a pile of pine cones, with my little bro fanning the pile with a trashcan lid, I forged a frog gig of sorts from rebar using my Dad's favorite Eastwing framer on a big rock. Got blisters on my hands and my butt that day. But.....the gig worked pretty good for a 6 year old. (I do a little better work these days.)
Awesome information here, thank you so much for commenting on this. I really look forward to doing more research on this!

Anvil Head

Keep us posted on how your journey goes. No stupid questions, so always ask. Also might do a search in the artist genre around Old St. Charles, seems there were a few artist smithys set up there last time I past through. My Daughter lives out in Lake St. Louis, so we are out there on occasion. Seems there were also some smithys out toward the Boone settlement. There ought to be a group or organization around your area that plays with fire. May find info doing a search on local custom knifemakers, they are out there everywhere. Working/watching another smith will go a long way in leveling the learning curve on tools and techniques.

joepuppy

I built a dirt box forge about a year ago, now I just finished my gas one. I buy my coal at the local welding supply. At $17/50lb., it last a while. I mostly do ornamental type stuff, but getting a taste for getting into knives here recently. You tube has some good how to videos, just make sure it's someone who has some credibility.

joepuppy

A couple of pics.

Attachments

• 99B80BC1-0928-4FE2-A7D2-676109C802F1.jpeg
    99B80BC1-0928-4FE2-A7D2-676109C802F1.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 94A2772A-D0F5-47A5-BDA2-0DEC0B6BA7FE.jpeg
    94A2772A-D0F5-47A5-BDA2-0DEC0B6BA7FE.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 23

back_woods

I see your from bonaire. Look up the ocmulgee blacksmith guild. Real stand up bunch of guys who would be a wealth of knowledge and may even have an old forge they would be willing to part with

MissouriBoy

I see your from bonaire. Look up the ocmulgee blacksmith guild. Real stand up bunch of guys who would be a wealth of knowledge and may even have an old forge they would be willing to part with
Outstanding! I’ll check them out now!

CurLee

Built my current coal forge out of a large truck brake drum, sunk in and welded to a push mower deck(upside down). Straight 4"tube coming out the bottom for a cleanout with a 2" tube welded at an upward angle for forced air.

MissouriBoy

Built my current coal forge out of a large truck brake drum, sunk in and welded to a push mower deck(upside down). Straight 4"tube coming out the bottom for a cleanout with a 2" tube welded at an upward angle for forced air.
Thanks for that information, the part I am struggling to decide on was the upper part that holds the coal. A push mower deck seems like a perfect choice!

MissouriBoy

No problem. Just stuff I got hold of or had around. Would go heavier if I was using it regularly
I probably won’t be using it regularly. So that’s about perfect!