This weather has me PUMPED UP!

oldfella1962

Slight drizzle, all day overcast, steady ambient temperature - it hasn't been like this where I fish in a long time. It's throwing the fish a curveball!
I'm going to a clear lake where the fish can sometimes get spooked. Not all the fish, but enough of them to sometimes make afternoon fishing slow.
My main lure for bass? I'm going with a Beetle Spin on my Zebco 33 rod to cover more water faster than with a drop-shot plastic worm. My sunfish lure will also be a Beetle Spin, just a smaller version for my ultralight rod. I like to use the Beetle Spin to locate sunfish, and then switch to live redworms. If all goes according to plan, I should clean up! :)

Redbow

Yep, I figure the Bream are still biting up the White Oak River here, Shellcrackers too. I know I could catch a few Crappie now as well and a couple miles downriver towards the salt water even a few Croakers and possibly a few Sea Trout.

oldfella1962

Yep, I figure the Bream are still biting up the White Oak River here, Shellcrackers too. I know I could catch a few Crappie now as well and a couple miles downriver towards the salt water even a few Croakers and possibly a few Sea Trout.
Things did not pan out! :( I only caught & released two undersized bass, and two undersized red breasts. They all fought hard so I guess I can't complain. The scenery was nice, all the trees in full color and whatnot.

Redbow

Things did not pan out! :( I only caught & released two undersized bass, and two undersized red breasts. They all fought hard so I guess I can't complain. The scenery was nice, all the trees in full color and whatnot.
Well, things don't usually pan out for me when I go fishing either. But I always enjoy being out there in nature. Better luck next time.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I know this sounds completely backwards but I much prefer high sun this time of year, even with extremely clear water. The clouds really messed up my bite this weekend.

oldfella1962

I know this sounds completely backwards but I much prefer high sun this time of year, even with extremely clear water. The clouds really messed up my bite this weekend.

I will say the clouds messed up my sunfish bite yesterday TO THE EXTREME! :cry: If I would have not split my efforts between bass & sunfish and just fished bass I might have caught at least a couple of keepers, or maybe just more juvenile bass but the bass were in their normal places & biting. I didn't have time get to cover all the likely locations in the pond, so I might go back this afternoon and focus strictly on bass. I'm sticking with the Beetle Spin unless it gets too sunny, then I'll drop-shot. I wish I had known about the drop-shot rig years ago, but better late than never.

oldfella1962

The pump continues, spilling over from fishing into doing long-neglected outdoor chores in this awesome weather. :)
Last fishing day I lost two bass (one a keeper no doubt) so today after my chores I'm out for revenge. Either way it's just wrong to be inside in this weather if I can help it.