Tick Removal

randy966

Any advice on how to properly remove a tick? I have been using tweezers and keep breaking the tick in half leaving the head in my dog. I know this is not good!!

Thanks

Slug-Gunner

The "Old Fashioned" Way....

I've removed thousands of ticks from my dogs over the years and just do it the "old fashioned" way.... I use my fingers and simply place my fingernails of my thumb and either the first or middle finger over the tick against the skin and pull gently until it pulls free. The head comes out with the tick 99.98 % of the time, usually with a small piece of skin attached to it. The ONE THING YOU DON'T WANT TO DO is to squeeze the ticks body, especially if it is already bloated from feeding. This will force ingested blood back out into the dog, or yourself, giving more liklihood of disease or infection. I've tried tweezers before and my fingers still WORKED BETTER.
:eek: :clap: ;)

Last edited:

Havana Dude

To be sure

to not leave any tick in you, unscrew it. Thats right, they bore into you with a screw like appendage that will easily unscrew right out of you. It helps to have a pair of tweezers.

Beagler

Buy soem ADAM'S FLEA AND TICK KILLERIt somes in a spray bottle. It cost about $12.00 a quart. But it lasts a long time. It also contains Alcahol that helps heal scratchs on the dog as well.

Yours in Sport

Beagler