Tony Barnhart article on Coach Bowden

Jody Hawk

This is a good read. :(

How I will remember Bobby Bowden
7:09 am December 1, 2009, by Tony Barnhart

When I heard the news that Bobby Bowden was expected to retire today, I went through a range of emotion.

My first reaction was to be mad. I had been told over a week ago that not-so-subtle pressure would be put upon him to step down.

Yes, he would be given the option of returning, but in what could only be described as a figurehead role. In short, he would not retain the right to control the staff and the important things that go into being a head coach. The position would be ceremonial. I know the man well enough to believe that he could not be happy with that.

After building the Florida State program into a national powerhouse over 34 years—which included an unprecedented streak of 14 straight years with Top Five finishes—I believed strongly that he had earned the right to dictate the date and the manner of his retirement. This is not the way to treat a legend.

Then I got sad, as I usually do when one of the great ones has to walk away from the game. I will freely admit that I like and respect Bobby Bowden. He’s been good to me in my career. I love college football and recognize that the sport we all enjoy today was built by men like Bobby Bowden.

Florida State’s football stadium looked like a giant erector set when he became coach in 1976. There was little football tradition and the facilities were a joke. Now Doak Campbell Stadium is a palace and Florida State’s athletic complex is more than impressive. Yeah, Florida State did a lot for Bobby Bowden. But he gave a ******* lot more than he got back.

Then I was glad. I have been fortunate to cover some of the greatest coaches in the history of this game: Bryant, Dooley, Spurrier, Dye, Holtz, and now Bowden, just to name a few. They all have their time and, inevitably, that time comes to a close. No one coaches forever or plays forever. None of us gets to do what we do forever so we should enjoy the moments that we do have and in the sport of college football, Bobby Bowden gave us a lot of those moments.

So it appears that Bobby Bowden, who just turned 80 years old in November, is set to walk off the stage a year before he is ready. He won 388 games, which is second in Division I-A only to Joe Paterno. He wanted to retire as college football’s all-time winner. I know he said he didn’t stay awake thinking about it. But the man is competitive. Very competitive. He wanted that record. His players and family wanted it for him even more.

We are still waiting to see if the NCAA is going to strip him of 14 victories as penalty for an academic scandal that he addressed when it was discovered. I said this long before now but that should not happen.

There are so many games and so many stories I will remember when I think of Bobby Bowden. But this story will always be at the top of my list:

On Friday, Sept. 10, 2004 Florida State played at Miami in a game that had been postponed due to Hurricane Frances. The day before Bowden had attended the funeral of his grandson, Bowden Madden, who had been killed in automobile accident related to the Hurricane.

Florida State lost the game, 16-10 in overtime. Those of us who talked to Bowden that night knew how much he was hurting. All of us had a job to do but when you’re talking to a man who just lost a grandson named after him, a football game just doesn’t seem very important. But as always, Bowden answered our questions, even the personal ones about his pain.

When Bowden turned to leave for what was going to be a difficult trip back to Tallahassee, he took off his Florida State cap. He signed his name underneath the bill of the cap and then threw it to Joe Henderson, the fine columnist from the Tampa Tribune.

“Hey, Joe,” Bowden said. “Give that to your grandson.” Then he walked away.

That is how I am going to remember Bobby Bowden.

http://blogs.ajc.com/barnhart-colle...wden/?cxntfid=blogs_barnhart_college_football

ChiefOsceola

Good stuff. Love Bobby or not, they just don't make coaches (or men) like that anymore. Dadgummit.

BlackSmoke

Great read :clap: I've always admired ol Bobby and hate to see him go. While I firmly think it's time for him to step away, I agree with a lot of folks that he should have been able to do it on his own terms. 2010 would be his last year, regardless of the outcome. Why not just let him get back on that horse and mosey on off into the sunset. Seems like FSU couldn't get rid of him soon enough, and that to me is sad

MudDucker

Staff member
Bobby stayed too long and stopped winning, time to start new and move forward.

If I told you what I thought of you and this boneheaded statement, I would be banned from this forum.

Young whippersnapper, there was NO FSU before Bowden. That ain't conjecture, that is from experience. My father and I used to ride down there when we were bored, arrive 15 minutes before game time and get a 50 yard line seat from the ticket window. FSU stank. It had stank for years and there was NO ONE at that time who thought it would ever do anything but stink. It was like a night school with two forms of slapstick entertainment, the circus and the football team and they were hard to tell apart.

Then comes Bowden. In no time, he had FSU playing winning football. Not just winning, but winning with style and excitement. He won for many many years. Unlike Paterno who came into an already great program, FSU is the house that Bobby built.

If any coach deserved to dictate his own terms of exit, it was Bobby.

You are not person enough to kiss Bowden's derriere and any other FSU fan who doesn't appreciate him should find another team, because FSU is and will always be Bowden's team. You should be ashamed of yourself. :hammers:

ChiefOsceola

If I told you what I thought of you and this boneheaded statement, I would be banned from this forum.

Young whippersnapper, there was NO FSU before Bowden. That ain't conjecture, that is from experience. My father and I used to ride down there when we were bored, arrive 15 minutes before game time and get a 50 yard line seat from the ticket window. FSU stank. It had stank for years and there was NO ONE at that time who thought it would ever do anything but stink. It was like a night school with two forms of slapstick entertainment, the circus and the football team and they were hard to tell apart.

Then comes Bowden. In no time, he had FSU playing winning football. Not just winning, but winning with style and excitement. He won for many many years. Unlike Paterno who came into an already great program, FSU is the house that Bobby built.

You are not person enough to kiss Bowden's derriere and any other FSU fan who doesn't appreciate him should find another team, because FSU is and will always be Bowden's team. You should be ashamed of yourself. :hammers:

Thank you. :cheers: Bobby should've been given his last year. There were times when Bama and others tried to steal Bobby away from FSU but he never quit us. It's a real shame that he was done this way by the university. :mad:

BlackSmoke

Thank you. :cheers: Bobby should've been given his last year. There were times when Bama and others tried to steal Bobby away from FSU but he never quit us. It's a real shame that he was done this way by the university. :mad:

I couldn't agree more

alphachief

The disrespect younger Seminole fans are, and have been showing Coach Bowden is typical of the whiney, me first mentality we see in our society these days. Were I to really post what I feel when I read that kind of garbage...well...it would be my last post on the forum.

Jody Hawk

Great post. :clap: I agree, the way they forced him out wasn't right. :(

SWAMPFOX

Guess I'm telling my age but I was a student at FSU when Bowden was an assistant under Bill Peterson. Lotta folks don't remember the wide open offense that Peterson introduced via Steve Tensi/Fred Biletnekoff. I always felt that Bowden took what was left of that tradition and turned it up about 1000%. I had the opportunity of meet Coach Bowden and spend a few minutes with him in his office some years back and he was most gracious.

Attachments

• Pic 004a.jpg
    Pic 004a.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 103

drhunter1

Great post Mudd. FSU wouldn't have a team if it weren't for him.

tjl1388

:pop:

Man you guys are fun in here.

I have a love/hate relationship with Bobby Dadgummit Bowden.

On one hand he is the coach of one of my teams most hated rivals and if told you I wasn't happy that we sent him out with a L in his own house I would be lying.

On the other hand I am glad that I can tell my son that his very first college football game (this years UM/FSU game) featured one of of the greatest cfb coaches of all time and he got to watch him on the sidelines.

Have a good retirement Bobby... I'll toast to your future success and your replacements downfall.:cheers: