Tractor Question

ajtowe

I recently purchased a Kubota M7040. It has 67 engine HP and is not 4WD.

I will be planting up to a 5 acre dove field. I am curious about what type/size of harrow this tractor can handle for my application.

Any and all information is appreciated.

BriarPatch99

I believe the old rules called for 6.5 hp per foot of harrow .... That does depend on soil type ...

10' should be a good starting point ...

Lilly001

I pull a Brown 8' disc with a 65 hp 4wd. I occasionally have wheel slip in soft, deep soil when it's set in it's most aggressive setting.
But my tires are not loaded and I think mine is heavier than most disc of its size.
I think you could go 8-10' if you load your tires and just watch how deep it penetrates.:flag:

BriarPatch99

Tractor weight also plays into the game also ... as Lilly says loading the rear tires will be a big help ...

On the farm we pull a 10' heavy harrow with a heavier Ford 5000 with 69 hp and loaded tires ... but we also have Sandy type soils ...

The ratio of weight per hp really determines how well a tractor will pull ...

Bulldozers are able to transfer hp to the ground(traction) because of the weight and ground contact area... this applies to wheel tractors as well ...

Burton

Depending on how hard the ground is, it may be better to use a 7 shank all purpose plow. Someone recommended it earlier this year in the forum, so I bought one. My 5 shank plow works the ground twice as fast as the harrows I was using.

Lilly001

Depending on how hard the ground is, it may be better to use a 7 shank all purpose plow. Someone recommended it earlier this year in the forum, so I bought one. My 5 shank plow works the ground twice as fast as the harrows I was using.

Is that on already tilled ground?
Most of my fields are reclaimed from grown over clear cut and have a lot of small roots and a few rotting stumps. My disc will ride up over what it can't cut through.
I have read about the all purpose plow and its utility but I wonder about the root and stump problem with it.

glynr329

If I had to pick only one piece of equipment to use it definitely would be an all purpose plow. Matter of fact just bought a heavy duty 7 shank this past weekend.

As far stumps I have tore a bunch of equipment up.

livetohunt

I have a 2wd 60 hp Kubota and pull a 6.5 ft heavy disc behind it..It labors in heavily worked soil or going up a slight hill..Make sure you get one wider than your tire widths.