Feed Corn for planting . . . .

ChattBuck

So last night I'm getting my dove field planted and I ended up about 3/4 acre short on corn seed. We buy roundup ready corn seed. But it's 8 oclock at night when I run out and I can't get any more.

I did have a bag of feed corn. Thinking I read here that much of the feed corn is roundup ready corn I went ahead and put in about 4 rows of it as an experiment.

Got a bag of the confirmed roundup ready corn today to finish out the field.

Anyone here got experience just planting feed corn? Did it come up? Was it roundup resistant? Am I just an idiot for thinking it may be?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
It’s probably a chance most are not willing to take but I bet it does just as good as the rest . Will be interesting to find out . Keep us posted on its progress .

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I have planted it before, but always have done a rag doll test on the seed to make sure it germinates.

I never tested it for being RoundUp ready, but that is easy to do. Probably a real good chance that it is.

Attachments

• 2013-08-03_11-29-26_149.jpg
    2013-08-03_11-29-26_149.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 19

ChattBuck

I have planted it before, but always have done a rag doll test on the seed to make sure it germinates.

I never tested it for being RoundUp ready, but that is easy to do. Probably a real good chance that it is.

As a proud graduate of the University of Georgia, I can't bring myself to click on a link from University of Florida.

The rivalry runs deep.

buckpasser

I keep saying that I’m gonna do a germ test and then a chem test on some feed corn to plant, but then I go buy $230 corn that I know is Liberty link and RR. Maybe I actually do it for ‘24. Post up your results.

Mac

Several years ( I think 4) I would plant eagle soybeans and feed corn in Spring plots, would spray with roundup and I never killed the corn. I don't think the deer knew the difference. LOL

Ihunt

Next month, just find a farmer that is combining his corn and buy some from him. Store it in a cool, dry place and just plant it next year. It’ll be fine.

Ride past a corn field in early October and look at all of the young corn plants. That’s what germinated and grew after they picked it.

HAPPY DAD

Didn't do so well. Seems a bit stunted and didn't germinate well. Not sure what went on.
Maybe timing of planting or rain? Did you put down the same amount of fertilizer? Same soil type?

I am curious too, because I have a VERY VERY VERY hard time believing that many farmers are planting field corn these days that isnt Roundup Ready. Maybe if we specifically looked for some type of organic field corn. Now sweet corn would be a different story

ChattBuck

Maybe timing of planting or rain? Did you put down the same amount of fertilizer? Same soil type?

I am curious too, because I have a VERY VERY VERY hard time believing that many farmers are planting field corn these days that isnt Roundup Ready. Maybe if we specifically looked for some type of organic field corn. Now sweet corn would be a different story
It was planted at the same time the rest of the field was planted. Same fertilizer and what not. It's grown but just not AS good as the RR corn I bought.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
"Life is like a box of chocolates ..... you never know what you're gonna get" :)

Back in the day, we raised "seed corn", which was corn that was "bred" to yield certain characteristics, like maturity, yield, height, ear size, number of ears, etc., all to help a farmer, in a certain location benefit the most from planting "that" seed. When we harvested it, it became "field corn" that was sold and planted the next season.

We would plant strips that had 2 rows of one variety (the male) and 4 rows of another (the female). When the 4 rows tasseled out, the tassels would be pulled so that the pollen from the 2 rows, would fertilize the 4 rows and create the desired variety. A lot of trial and error, the planting of test plots, etc., took place prior to those 2 seed varieties being chosen, to produce a new offspring. Only the 4 rows of "females" were kept for seed. Sometimes the male rows were chopped up after they did their duty.

We were given those seed varieties to plant by large seed companies like Dekalb and Pride. They were the ones who put all the time and effort into determining what to plant.

Having said all that and after we planted, you would stand back and look at the "male" or "female" rows and you wonder what they were thinking. Short, stalky, small ears, yet when the "field corn" was harvested, it produced the desired result for next years farmer.

If the farmer, next year, saved some of his harvested "field corn" to plant the following year, he could never be assured "what" kind of crop he would get. His field corn was a hybrid of 2 different (or more) varieties.

Just like buying Heirloom tomato seed or plants, to be assured of what you are going to get and saving some of that seed for next year vs buying a hybrid tomato seed or plant. The hybrid, you can't be assured of what would get produced. It more than likely would not be the same.

RoundUp ready corn is no different (I am assuming), where the " RU trait" is bred into the male or female variety. Not all RU ready corn is created equal and thus, you may have gotten the "short gimpy hairy chested male variety" coming back out. :)

So, post a picture of it when you can. I know it won't look at all like your RU variety, but if it still produces an ear for the deer to eat ..... you did good. It may not be as picture perfect as the rest of your fields, always are!

Doomtrpr can probably add a lot more to this kind of story.

doomtrpr_z71

It's a mix loss of vigor due to storage and handling as well as dilution from the corn being a F2 with a loss of hybrid vigor instead of F1 when it comes out of the bag with more random promotion of traits, the corn is most likely VT2P traited and without proper gene expression you will get corn that's a little off compared to stuff that's bred with genetic molecular markers.

ChattBuck

It's a mix loss of vigor due to storage and handling as well as dilution from the corn being a F2 with a loss of hybrid vigor instead of F1 when it comes out of the bag with more random promotion of traits, the corn is most likely VT2P traited and without proper gene expression you will get corn that's a little off compared to stuff that's bred with genetic molecular markers.
That sounds wayyyyy too much like a Genetics test answer to me. Bad flashbacks!