Gravity Feeder Question

ribber

Trying protein pellets this year and got 2 of the Treeline gravity feeders from TSC. They've been out 2 weeks and I haven't got a picture yet of a deer eating from the feeder. They were nervous of them at first but I've got several pics of them right next to the feeder this week, just none actually eating from them.
I went last weekend and poured some corn in the feeding tray and on the ground underneath thinking they would figure it out, but I've only seen them eating the corn on the ground. Any ideas? The feeders aren't too high, the tray area is about 3 ft high on both. And it's not the pellets, I've been pouring some out in the same place since gun season came in to get them used to it and they butchered it just like the corn.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Trying protein pellets this year and got 2 of the Treeline gravity feeders from TSC. They've been out 2 weeks and I haven't got a picture yet of a deer eating from the feeder. They were nervous of them at first but I've got several pics of them right next to the feeder this week, just none actually eating from them.
I went last weekend and poured some corn in the feeding tray and on the ground underneath thinking they would figure it out, but I've only seen them eating the corn on the ground. Any ideas? The feeders aren't too high, the tray area is about 3 ft high on both. And it's not the pellets, I've been pouring some out in the same place since gun season came in to get them used to it and they butchered it just like the corn.
It's the feeder. I've seen countless pics of deer at a new feeder looking at it like a calf looks at a new gate. They will get over their apprehension and will eventually eat.

ribber

It's the feeder. I've seen countless pics of deer at a new feeder looking at it like a calf looks at a new gate. They will get over their apprehension and will eventually eat.
That's what I was kinda thinking. I've never used feeders so I wasn't sure what to expect.
I am thinking of putting something in the tray that has a scent (peanut butter, etc) so they might figure out how to use it. The dang coons have sure figured it out though!

sghoghunter

Putting a feeder in a new place can be like putting a booger man in a kids bedroom. I’ve seen where some places they take to a feeder right off then I’ve seen some places they won’t touch one no matter how longs it sits there. I know boss buck and other companies say to have the feed ports around 42 inches off the ground but IMO that’s too high. I’ve found that around 36 to 38 inches works way better and they don’t have to stretch and it also helped the deer feel more comfortable around it

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Give them a few more weeks and I’ll bet they’ll take to them .

Bud Man

I got a trough feeder 50 yd from my back porch they're reading 50 lb a day out of for the last 3 years or more, I dumped three loads of crush and run and extended my driveway 2 months ago, they haven't touched it since lol obviously they don't like the rocks being that close to their food. They will find your feeder and they will wear you out when they do. Patience my friend

billy336

Mix corn and pellets 50/50, they’ll start on it, then ween the corn out.

JoPa

With your gravity feeder, with pellets, do you have a racoon problem? I'm getting tired of feeding them out of a spin feeder, thinking of going gravity + pellets.

2dye4

You may want to try and mix corn in with the protein pellets at first. I had a buddy that had the same problem several years ago.

frankwright

With your gravity feeder, with pellets, do you have a racoon problem? I'm getting tired of feeding them out of a spin feeder, thinking of going gravity + pellets.
They will hit the gravity feeders too.
Trapping and the bird spikes really slowed them down.

Jim Boyd

I’ve seen them take right to feeders and have seen a few they just flat would not eat out of.

Patience and good luck!

gobblergitter

Couple years ago we decided to try the protein pellets. I bought a Banks feeder and built a trough feeder with a tin roof. I tried everything I could think of to get them to eat from them. Mixed corn with the pellets, lowered the gravity feeder per the pellet supplier, spread feed on the ground around the feeders. You name it, I tried it. I gave it 6-8 months. Never could get them to commit to the feeders. Funny thing is on our place they will stand between the legs of a tripod timed/spreader type feeder and eat until its gone. I finally gave up. Tried to sell the Banks but everyone that asked about it wanted it for nothing and wanted me to pay them to come get it. Sarcasm intended, somewhat. It's just sitting under the shelter. Thought about just feeding it on the ground like corn if I ever decide to try again. Just my .02 cent worth.

sghoghunter

Couple years ago we decided to try the protein pellets. I bought a Banks feeder and built a trough feeder with a tin roof. I tried everything I could think of to get them to eat from them. Mixed corn with the pellets, lowered the gravity feeder per the pellet supplier, spread feed on the ground around the feeders. You name it, I tried it. I gave it 6-8 months. Never could get them to commit to the feeders. Funny thing is on our place they will stand between the legs of a tripod timed/spreader type feeder and eat until its gone. I finally gave up. Tried to sell the Banks but everyone that asked about it wanted it for nothing and wanted me to pay them to come get it. Sarcasm intended, somewhat. It's just sitting under the shelter. Thought about just feeding it on the ground like corn if I ever decide to try again. Just my .02 cent worth.

Banks is all I use. Where you live I’ll come get it and you won’t even have to pay me haha