Gravity Feeder Question

Sixes

I think a lot of it depends on how the deer are raised. Meaning, I put a gravity feeder on my family land this year where I have had a spin feeder for years. The deer figured it out the first night and took straight to it.

My family sold the land late in the season and I moved the feeder to another place that I hunt that has not been legally hunted for 35-40 years. We got permission this past year. I moved the feeder there around the first week of January and went from having 15-20 deer a day visiting poured out corn to 0 deer coming in.

Finally, now a month later, a few are starting to feed around it and from it.

I think the reason that the deer hammered it on the family land is that they have been raised around a feeder since being fawns and going back several generations of deer, while at the other spot, they had no clue what it is and are skittish of anything new. My plant is to leave it out and keep it full and hope that they will get used to the feeder. If not, I will pull it out

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Could always spice it up with some of the Crush apples or persimmons or other dehydrated fruit/veggie stuff.

Blackston

I put feed banks on a piece of property and I swore they weren’t ever gonna use em (like 4 or 5 months passed) but I kept feeding around em and scooping old feed outta ports , they finally used em and I ended up discontinuing use because I couldn’t afford to keep em full

ribber

Couple years ago we decided to try the protein pellets. I bought a Banks feeder and built a trough feeder with a tin roof. I tried everything I could think of to get them to eat from them. Mixed corn with the pellets, lowered the gravity feeder per the pellet supplier, spread feed on the ground around the feeders. You name it, I tried it. I gave it 6-8 months. Never could get them to commit to the feeders. Funny thing is on our place they will stand between the legs of a tripod timed/spreader type feeder and eat until its gone. I finally gave up. Tried to sell the Banks but everyone that asked about it wanted it for nothing and wanted me to pay them to come get it. Sarcasm intended, somewhat. It's just sitting under the shelter. Thought about just feeding it on the ground like corn if I ever decide to try again. Just my .02 cent worth.
They tore the pellets up when I was pouring on the ground, but the pellets get mushy and moldy after a rain and they won't touch them then. Hopefully they'll take to the feeders soon because I'm not sure what else to try.

Blackston

They tore the pellets up when I was pouring on the ground, but the pellets get mushy and moldy after a rain and they won't touch them then. Hopefully they'll take to the feeders soon because I'm not sure what else to try.
Stay the course…… and we want updates!!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
With your gravity feeder, with pellets, do you have a racoon problem? I'm getting tired of feeding them out of a spin feeder, thinking of going gravity + pellets.
I quit feeding in the backyard because of this^^^
I think they’ll hit it too eventually. Are the squirrels sitting on the tray yet? Once they do, it should be on!