Trailer Brake controller

HuntinJake_23

Looking ahead I will need a new trailer brake controller in my 97 F350 power stroke. It came with a Kelsey unit which does not work, it lights up red when I touch the brake pedal; but does not engage the trailer brakes. Found out the hard way towing an enclosed trailer with a mustang inside.

With that being said, what is the best trailer brake unit for towing a camper and other trailers?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
before I bought a new controller, I would make sure the voltage is getting back to the trailer connector. It could just be a bad connection somewhere.

I am guessing that you verified the brakes worked on the trailer with another vehicle?

HuntinJake_23

before I bought a new controller, I would make sure the voltage is getting back to the trailer connector. It could just be a bad connection somewhere.

I am guessing that you verified the brakes worked on the trailer with another vehicle?

Yes they worked with another truck, and all the brake lights and turn signals were functional on the trailer with my truck.

Israel

BANNED
Looking ahead I will need a new trailer brake controller in my 97 F350 power stroke. It came with a Kelsey unit which does not work, it lights up red when I touch the brake pedal; but does not engage the trailer brakes. Found out the hard way towing an enclosed trailer with a mustang inside.

With that being said, what is the best trailer brake unit for towing a camper and other trailers?

Have you checked to see if fuse is blown? Between controller brake output and connector. Possibility that controller is equipped to let you know by red light...

found this:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-86767.html

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Yes they worked with another truck, and all the brake lights and turn signals were functional on the trailer with my truck.

those are all separate circuits. The brake circuit is not tied to the lights. You need to get a VOM and verify that voltage is getting to the trailer connector at the back of the truck. Could be a bad connection, a blown fuse, or a cut wire.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
NE GA Pappy is on it...same for Israel.

I put a fuse inline just for my trailer brake wire power supply.

Tenkonsha Prodigy P3 is a favorite, electric and inertia control. I use the inexpensive electric only control. Reese Pod.
Reese Pod controller

f8fc238d428c1b7da752717b0ccbe32e.jpg