True Arrowheads

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Size alone can fool some into thinking "arrowhead" . For instance this side notched beveled Bolen is Early Archaic and is 8500-9500 years old well outside the period of bows and arrows. For scale are .410 turkey loads. I found it above and adjacent to the Ohoopee flood plain while hunting turkeys in 2022. Probably an atlatl dart head... Gil

Attachments

• PXL_20220506_132418417 (1).jpg
    PXL_20220506_132418417 (1).jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 32

Duff

Size alone can fool some into thinking "arrowhead" . For instance this side notched beveled Bolen is Early Archaic and is 8500-9500 years old well outside the period of bows and arrows. For scale are .410 turkey loads. I found it above and adjacent to the Ohoopee flood plain while hunting turkeys in 2022. Probably an atlatl dart head... Gil
Ooooh wee! Thats a beauty of a point!

Reactions: GLS

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Nic is the small point second row second from left anything?

It`s shaped similar to a point but I cant tell for sure if it is or just a particularly shaped flake.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Redbow

When I was a boy I made self bows and used river cane for my arrows. I never put an arrowhead on the arrows, just fletched them with chicken feathers and sharpened them on the end. We had huge red oak trees in our yard on the farm. Those old oaks were tough but at times I would get a river cane arrow to stick into the oak trees and it was hard to pull out. I often wondered if the Indians used them on other human beings I still have some river cane arrows today just sharpened on the end, they will hurt you.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
When I was a boy I made self bows and used river cane for my arrows. I never put an arrowhead on the arrows, just fletched them with chicken feathers and sharpened them on the end. We had huge red oak trees in our yard on the farm. Those old oaks were tough but at times I would get a river cane arrow to stick into the oak trees and it was hard to pull out. I often wondered if the Indians used them on other human beings I still have some river cane arrows today just sharpened on the end, they will hurt you.

The Calusa and Timocuans used rivercane arrows with no points added in their battles with the Spanish Conquistadors. They splintered and penetrated chain mail whereas the chert and coral points didn`t do so well.

longrangedog

Charles Hudson wrote the definitive book on Hernando DeSoto's travels in southwest north America. Published by the University of Georgia press, it is compiled from journals kept by five members of Desoto's expedition. Lots of detail about the natives in 1540. The Desoto expedition marked the end of the Mississippian Period and the beginning of European contact.

Knights of Spain, Warriors of the Sun: Hernando de Soto and the South's Ancient Chiefdoms