Tug of war tournament

Shadow11

Anybody know who won? Looks like the team up front had a commanding lead when this pic was taken.

Screenshot_2024-05-04-15-05-50.png

specialk

poor trout.....

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Looks like some of the combat salmon fishing near Anchorage.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
This is Ship Creek, runs right through downtown Anchorage. It still has a native salmon run. When the run is at its peak their nearly shoulder to shoulder along this stretch of the creek.

IMG_1664.jpegIMG_1665.jpeg

Shadow11

This is Ship Creek, runs right through downtown Anchorage. It still has a native salmon run. When the run is at its peak their nearly shoulder to shoulder along this stretch of the creek.

View attachment 1303695View attachment 1303700

Wow. How does that work? Do they think fish swim in a straight line to the person that hooked it? When 20 ppl have their lines wrapped around one fish, do they fight over it? Do they trace down the hook? Do all 20 of the ppl have to cut their line and re-tie? A lot I don't understand about that.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Wow. How does that work? Do they think fish swim in a straight line to the person that hooked it? When 20 ppl have their lines wrapped around one fish, do they fight over it? Do they trace down the hook? Do all 20 of the ppl have to cut their line and re-tie? A lot I don't understand about that.
The real funny part is that when they run up from the sea to breed, they don't eat.

TheWildLife

I've fished for king salmon in Alaska many years ago. We didn't have anywhere near that number of people fishing around us (we referred to that as combat fishing). We were spread about 6-8' apart. Most everyone was real good about clearing the way for someone hooked up. When someone yelled "fish on", we looked to see which way the fish was headed and reeled in accordingly or did our best to stay untangled with the person hooked up.

And Batjack is right, those fish ain't there to eat. Mostly luck to hook one, and then really, really lucky to hook in the mouth so you could keep it. Foul hook a good size one and it was a fight for sure!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Is that the only hole in the creek that you can fish? I can't believe that there would be a trout in there that would hit anything with all that going on, even doughbellies have their limits.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Hence the term “combat fishing.” You get 20-30 lb salmon running up and down there‘s a bunch of folks got to get lines out of the way in a hurry. It gets down right entertaining.

My buddy and I didn’t drive not over hour out of town and would have plenty of room to fight a fish without that mess.