Turkey season phases

BuckNasty83

I decided to get into Turkey hunting this year and I know very little about Turkey. My buddies either. In fact last week was my first hunt. I have Turkey on my property, see them and hear them often, but Ive never really cared to hunt them or study them until the past few months. What are they doing this time of year? Are they breeding, have they already bred? Should I use strutting decoys at this time? Call little or call a lot?

From what little I know, they should be in sex groups. I haven't seen a group of males since deer season. Ive only seen 2 hens together once last week. A few days later I seen 3 separate hens alone. Seen a Tom alone one day. Hear a gobbler close by every hunt, but can't pull him into sight. Responds to calls, then goes silent. Had a solo hen come in and talk for 15 mins straight in 1 spot then leave. Another seemed like she was in a rush to get somewhere else at first light. Nest? I'm guessing the majority are hened up or nesting. But how do you know what phase is going on at a certain point in the season? What should I be looking for? What tactics should I be using and what should I expect going forward?

In NWGA

Last edited:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
It depends on which part of the state your in. In South Georgia a good number of hens are about to be setting on nests and the hunting should get "easier". In central Georgia and the piedmont it will be a couple more weeks till most of the hens are finished breeding. In the mountains it will be longer. You can call a gobbler in at any point during the season though. Get as close as you dare to on a roosted gobbbler in the morning and try to figure out which way they want to go. Sometimes it takes hunting them several days In a row to figure out where you need to be. Sometimes he'll pitch off roost right in your lap on the first hunt. Good luck and get after them

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like u are in the right area , that’s the number 1 thing , and if u are hearing gobblers and they are responding to your calls u are doing that rt also , don’t call much and know the terrain, they like the easy path, and go as much as possible , food plots or clear cuts are great places to set up decoys and call every now and then , just keep at it and it will happen !

WishboneW

When a bird gobbles at your calls then goes silent sit still and wait. It may take up to an hour for him to show.
I called one in to a food plot earlier this year and it took him 45 minutes to move 20 yards up the plot into slopping range