Tybee Beach Pier

I've been thinking about this a lot lately...

The Tybee Beach Pier is Georgia's only true Atlantic facing beach fishing pier (to my knowledge). Because of this, I feel like it has so much potential but that it's currently a bit of a joke to any serious coastal fisherman. First, at lowest tide, nearly the entire current length of the pier is out of the water. Second, gawking tourists outnumber those fishing most of the time by several multiples.

What about this? The pier is extended a further 600-700 feet beyond it's current termination point. That would more than double the current length of the pier and provide more linear feet of fishing space and deeper water fishing during all phases of the tide.

Second, a per-head fee is charged to access the extended portion of the pier past Rip Tide Tackle. I'm thinking $10 a head with an exemption for children age 12 and under would be good to start. Doesn't matter if the individual intends to fish or not, they have to pay the fee if they want access. This would effectively keep most of the tourists off the extended portion of the pier and leave it open to those who are serious about fishing. Nothing changes for the tourists and those fishermen who don't want to pay the fee. They still have free access to the pavilion and everything up to Rip Tide.

I'm of the opinion that doing this would put Tybee on the map for lower Atlantic Beach piers and would bring more money into Tybee.

Are there any problems with my thinking above? I get depressed when I compare the current state of Tybee to the piers in Myrtle Beach and Florida. So much potential as previously stated...

Maybe one day I'll start a petition to send to the city fathers, but I don't want to bother unless we can get a few thousand at least and some local businesses to co-sign.

earlthegoat2

Do you know of anywhere else where this “pay to play” structure has been implemented and is working?

As a fisherman, I would like to see something like this done as there are relatively few Atlantic fishing opportunities in GA, as stated. There are also a lot of tourons who illegally shark fish on the pier because they aren’t from near the ocean and think it’s a novelty to catch a shark.

As a “tourist in my own town”, I can see it grating those folks. Many like to walk the pier to feel the breeze in their faces and listen to the surf. It’s a great place to sip a Wet Willies grain alcohol slurpee. Of course there is always the Southern part of the beach too.

Do you know of anywhere else where this “pay to play” structure has been implemented and is working?

To my knowledge, at least a couple FL panhandle piers charge a per person per day entry fee (around $10 IIRC). They don't seem to be wanting of fishermen. Plenty of people fishing on those piers based on YouTube videos.

I would think in the situation I described in the OP, it's more a necessary evil to keep the tourists off the extended portion than it is revenue for the city/pier. Although I'm sure they'll be happy for the additional dollars if they can figure out how to keep administration costs low.

As a “tourist in my own town”, I can see it grating those folks. Many like to walk the pier to feel the breeze in their faces and listen to the surf. It’s a great place to sip a Wet Willies grain alcohol slurpee.

As previously stated, nothing changes for them. They still have free access to the pavilion and the pier up to Rip Tide. Slurpee slurping won't be interrupted...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've spent a lot of "Tybee Time" fishing the pier, the beaches, and kayak fishing the area.

The Powers that Be of Tybee couldn't give half a dead rats' you know what about fishermen, pier, beach, or otherwise.

There are a very few names there who own everything there, and it is very easy for a young person to work for, rent from, and shop at stores owned by the same guy, and end up basically an indentured servant who can't get loose. Add a trumped up charge or two, and I know a few folks who have been there for years, on Tybee Time.

What they care about is the Tourist Dollar, and that comes from the walkers, and the sippers.

That's why there are nearly 30 bars/eateries within staggering distance. Once you step off the main drag tourist attraction, Tybee is actually a pretty dark and unsavory place.

The phrase "come on vacation/leave on probation" was invented there.

Having said all that, I used to enjoy the place, after learning how to successfully navigate it.

I'm way too old for that crap now...

earlthegoat2

IIRC, there was some scuttlebutt about charging admission “at the door” for access to the pier. Had nothing to do with fishing just revenue. Either way it never materialized.

As far as unsavory, we’ll that’s in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. However, when I was a PI, I spent many a long evening on Tybee.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
IIRC, there was some scuttlebutt about charging admission “at the door” for access to the pier. Had nothing to do with fishing just revenue. Either way it never materialized.

As far as unsavory, we’ll that’s in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. However, when I was a PI, I spent many a long evening on Tybee.

That does not surprise me a bit, Earl..:LOL:

Big7

The Oracle

As a fisherman, I would like to see something like this done as there are relatively few Atlantic fishing opportunities in GA, as stated. There are also a lot of tourons who illegally shark fish on the pier because they aren’t from near the ocean and think it’s a novelty to catch a shark.

As a “tourist in my own town”, I can see it grating those folks. Many like to walk the pier to feel the breeze in their faces and listen to the surf. It’s a great place to sip a Wet Willies grain alcohol slurpee. Of course there is always the Southern part of the beach too.
Big Pier 60

Clearwater.

To pass the bait shop, fishing or not, is pay to play.
It don't cost very much tho.

I saw a photo just the other day of the Tybee pier with 30 to 40 feet of exposed sand past the end at low water. Good thing your state tax dollars went to all of that beach renourishment, eh? Tybee used to be fun but the wacko commie mayor with the brunette Phyllis Diller hair has turned it into little California. They just declared last week that they won't be citing any maryjane offenses. Wacko commies. They want your tax dollars to build a new bridge and fix their sand but then they act like it's their private domain. No I don't think I'll be supporting more taxes to build a pier extension.

Seanote

There are a couple of piers in the Myrtle Beach area. I don't think they charge anything. The problem with fishing Tybee Beach is there are no sand fleas due to beach development. No fleas-no fish.

GTMODawg

BANNED
What they care about is the Tourist Dollar, and that comes from the walkers, and the sippers.

In my experience Tybee Island only cares about getting tourists to town....after that the tourist and their dollar is treated like a second class, second rate individual who ought to just mail the locals a check and save themselves the drive down. I have always wanted to like Tybee because it could be Georgia's coastal jewel....and all tourist towns secretly despise tourists....but for the most part Tybee has never even tried to hide their contempt for tourists. I am sure others have had different experiences but I have tried several times to make Tybee work and it just ain't worth the effort.

This is true, in my experience, from Myrtle Beach to the St. Mary's River with the exception of Beaufort, SC where they merely treat tourists as if they do not exist at all. Brunswick is tolerable. As soon as you cross into North Carolina or Fernandina folks at least pretend to appreciate you coming to town....but for some reason almost the entirety of the South Carolina and Georgia coast seems to think tourists are more trouble than theyre worth and they should simply mail a check and stay home.

GTMODawg

BANNED