UGA football 2010 - My analysis

MCBUCK

Freshmen Factors

I always look forward to your UGA posts Adam. You seem to have a pretty good grip on the happenings at Butts-Mehre. But I noticed that you conspicuously left out the unknown factor of incoming freshmen. Most of the time they will have little, if any impact, but I would like to bring up one fros...T.J Stripling. What little I have heard and read about him says that he could very well be a contributor this year at OLB. Any musings on him or other possible freshmen factors?

BlackSmoke

You are 100% correct Moe. Stripling is one of the few freshmen that is expected to make an impact this year. He needs to bulk up and add some beef to his frame, but his size and athletic ability can not be overlooked. He will fit the OLB mold that Grantham is looking for to a T. I expect him to be a big time producer in the future, just not quite sure how much to expect from him as a true frosh. If he can hit the weights hard this summer and get a good drasp of what Grantham is looking for, he very easily could see the field a lot this year.

Another freshman to watch is Alec Ogletree. The kid is an absolute head hunter. His high school highlight film is one of the most impressive that I can remember seeing in a LONG time. It seems the Dawg faithful is split roughly 50/50 as to wanting him to be a LB or a safety. Personally, I want to see him stay at safety and be a punisher, reminiscent of Thomas Davis and Greg Blue. But many folks want him to bulk up and play LB. Either way, he is a kid that will be a starter for us in the very near future.

Another new-comer to watch is Jakar Hamilton. Not a freshman, but he's a JUCO transfer and has 2 years of eligibility remaining if I'm not mistaken. He was a one man highlight film at GMC and from what I've read from other players, he is quickly settling in at the Butts-Mehre and has all the intangibles you look for in a safety.

BlackSmoke

DJax just hasn't been able to break out yet. I had very high expectations for him, but right now he is bottled up at the bottom of the depth chart. With Ealey and King in the rotation, I don't see DJax getting many touches this year. Remember, we also have Carlton Thomas back there as a scat back, and I know Bobo will have some plays designed for him this year.

I hope I'm wrong and DJax all of a sudden burst out, I just wouldn't hold my breath.

MCBUCK

Didn't Rennie Curran start as a freshman? I know he was at least in the rotation.

msds03

The Dawg fans that got to see D Jax play in high school when, he was healthy, know that he is a very talented back. The Dawg nation hasn't been able too see that yet because of injuries. I saw him when he came home in May and he said he is 99%.....so maybe this is the year, If not, he still has 3 years left to play. The nation just has no idea. You don't put nearly 2500 yds rushing as a jr in high school and never get a chance. He will and we can't wait to see it........