Venison snack sticks / slim jims

Ugahunter2013

My first attempt at snack sticks/ slim jims and they turned out really well. I used some AC Leggs Pepperoni Snack Stick mix. Mix calls for 25 lbs but I went lighter at 21 lbs. I used a 50/50 mix of ground deer and ground pork butt. I did add some cayenne pepper and some “slap yo mama” seasoning and that really added great flavor. I also added some Encapsulated Citric Acid at the very end to give it the “tang” that Slim Jims have. I put them on an electric smoker (with no smoke) for the first hour. After the first hour I smoked them with Hickory chips. Would have preferred Oak but I didn't have any. After a few hours I brought them In and finished them in the oven at the lowest setting, until they reached 153 degrees. I would have preferred to do everything on the smoker but I was having some major problems with the smoker. They taste just like a slim jim, minus the greasyness!

By the way, 21 lbs of slim jims is A lot. I had probably 4 roaster pans worth like you see in the 3rd picture.

6B7822B2-E080-40D6-8AF0-9F2FA5EA0B8B.jpeg80FAD96E-983A-4DD2-B94B-D7ACC125F05C.jpeg09315847-A268-4742-AA25-B8AB5989C55D.jpeg

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Those things look good. How do you store them?

Duff

Great job man. Those look great!

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Those will make a great deer stand snack. (y)

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good Job!!!!!

Ugahunter2013

Looks great! What did you use for casings?

I got mine from Waltons. I believe they are the smoked collagen 19mm?

It took forever to stuff 21 pounds of those things. If there is a "longer" stuffing tube out there I would look for it because I was probably stuffing a 3ft long slim at a time and then having to reload more casing on there. I would say I had to reload more casings 10-15 times per 5 lbs (my stuffer is 5 lbs).

Last edited: