Vicarious Trout

whitetailfreak

There comes a time in every trout fisherman's life where they start to get more joy by watching others (particularly their sons and grandsons) than catching trout themselves. This mostly comes out of necessity at the point in their life where they can no longer wade the creeks and branches that they've fished their whole life.

Several here know of the struggles my dad has had the last 5 or 6 months as multiple back surgeries and complications have restricted him to a wheel chair. He's currently being treated for his back wound and undergoing physical therapy at a local Western NC facility and although he's made progress he'll probably never regain his pre surgery mobility.

The good news is pop's was wanting to go fishing and it just so happens that his care facility is just a few minutes from one of our favorite trout streams. He knows that he's likely to never tie on another fly, wade a creek or cast a line but I saw joy that has been lacking for the last 6 months. Just being on the creek sitting in my Tacoma with the window down smoking a Winston made life normal again after months of being in the Hospital. We had limited time as his wound vac had only several hours of battery remaining so I strategically positioned my truck to where he could see me coming up a long stretch of creek. As I brought trout after trout to hand over the course of the morning I would get a thumbs up and a big smoky grin after each one. Now that I have dropped him back off and am making the hour and a half drive home I'm wishing that I would have taken more pictures but nevertheless I'm blessed to have had this day with Dad.

PXL_20240519_144131322.MP.jpgPXL_20240519_150115337.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20240519_143355378.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20240519_141901850~2.jpgPXL_20240519_144747749~2.jpgPXL_20240519_140253433.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20240519_142502997.MP~2.jpgPXL_20240519_140034208~2.jpg
PXL_20240519_150019661.MP~2.jpg
IMG_20240427_134542.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That gives me the :) and the :cry:.
Tell Pops I said howdy, and I sure hope he gets back up and at 'em soon! That man is a treasure, and a wealth of knowledge and experience. They don't make 'em like that any more.
I've got too many of Mom's birthday pics with me and my sis and mom in a hospital room.

turkeykirk

Good for you and him. Best wishes for your Dad.

Dr. Strangelove

That's awesome! I remember doing something similar with my grandfather after he wasn't able to get up and down the creekbanks anymore.

deermaster13

That's awesome sir! My dad pretty much in the same shape from back surgeries and it has led to one thing after another. I took him to lunch Saturday, just the 2 of us. been awhile so i know how it feels to enjoy what little chance we have to get them in the truck with you. Mine probably never fish Cherokee again for a trout or ever set a leg hold trap again. Enjoy every chance you can.

Timberbeast

Some of my best memories come from a trout stream. A camera wasn’t around for most of them. That’s good therapy there! Thanks for sharing. I know that was a special day for you both.