Vietnam Facts!!!!!

fussyray

A little history most people will never know.
Congress never declared war as required by the Constitution. The last time Congress
declared war was in WW2.
Interesting Veterans Statistics off the Vietnam Memorial Wall
There are 58,267 names now listed on that polished black wall, including those added in
The names are arranged in the order in which they were taken from us by date and
within each date the names are alphabetized. It is hard to believe it is 36 years since the
last casualties.
The first known casualty was Richard B. Fitzgibbon, of North Weymouth , Mass. Listed
by the U.S. Department of Defense as having been killed on June 8, 1956. His name is
listed on the Wall with that of his son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Richard B. Fitzgibbon
III, who was killed on Sept. 7, 1975.
There are three sets of fathers and sons on the Wall.
39,996 on the Wall were just 22 or younger.
8,283 were just 19 years old..
The largest age group, 33,103 were 18 years old.
12 soldiers on the Wall were 17 years old.
5 soldiers on the Wall were 16 years old.
One soldier, PFC Dan Bullock was 15 years old.
997 soldiers were killed on their first day in Vietnam ..
1,448 soldiers were killed on their last day in Vietnam ..
31 sets of brothers are on the Wall.
54 soldiers attended Thomas Edison High School in Philadelphia. I wonder why so
many from one school.
8 Women are on the Wall. Nursing the wounded.
244 soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War; 153 of them
are on the Wall.
Beallsville, Ohio with a population of 475 lost 6 of her sons.
West Virginia had the highest casualty rate per capita in the nation. There are 711 West
Virginians on the Wall.
The Marines of Morenci - They led some of the scrappiest high school football and
basketball teams that the little Arizona copper town of Morenci (pop. 5,058) had ever
known and cheered. They enjoyed roaring beer busts. In quieter moments, they rode
horses along the Coronado Trail, stalked deer in the Apache National Forest . And in
the patriotic camaraderie typical of Morenci's mining families, the nine graduates of
Morenci High enlisted as a group in the Marine Corps. Their service began on
Independence Day, 1966. Only 3 returned home.
The Buddies of Midvale - LeRoy Tafoya, Jimmy Martinez, Tom Gonzales were all
boyhood friends and lived on three consecutive streets in Midvale, Utah on Fifth, Sixth
and Seventh avenues. They lived only a few yards apart. They played ball at the
adjacent sandlot ball field. And they all went to Vietnam . In a span of 16 dark days in
late 1967, all three would be killed. LeRoy was killed on Wednesday, Nov. 22, the fourth
anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination. Jimmy died less than 24 hours later on
Thanksgiving Day. Tom was shot dead assaulting the enemy on Dec. 7, Pearl Harbor
Remembrance Day.
The most casualty deaths for a single day was on January 31, 1968 ~ 245 deaths.
The most casualty deaths for a single month was May 1968 - 2,415 casualties were
incurred.
For most Americans who read this they will only see the numbers that the Vietnam War
created. To those of us who survived the war, and to the families of those who did not,
we see the faces, we feel the pain that these numbers created. We are, until we too
pass away, haunted with these numbers, because they were our friends, fathers,
husbands, wives, sons, brothers, and daughters. There are no noble wars, just noble
warriors.
:flag::flag:

Headshot

Sobering facts. My brother served over there with the 1st Air Cav B/2/5 Dec 1968 - December 1969. He knew more than a few who are listed on that wall. Fortunately he made it back ok.

Redbow

Thanks for posting this...I also served with the 1st Air Cavalry Division 11th Aviation in '68 and '69 Viet-Nam.....I know a few people who are listed on that wall, I won't ever forget them..

Last edited:

Dan Conrad

Viet Nam facts

Having served over there,it shames me to see the lack of interest there has been to your post. The fact that it was an unpopular war should not stand in the way of appreciating the sacrifice those listed on the wall and their families. A LOT of people should hang their heads in shame.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I have been to The Wall in DC and it is very moving. I was on the way over when it was over. I too knew several who are on The Wall and they are not forgotten. Lots came home and never recovered. Luckily my two BIL came home.

Bpruitt

I have been to The Wall in DC and it is very moving. I was on the way over when it was over. I too knew several who are on The Wall and they are not forgotten. Lots came home and never recovered. Luckily my two BIL came home.

Everyone should visit that and the changing of the guards at Arlington at least once.

zedex

Gator Bait
I have a very good friend that is Vietnamese. She is 32 so what she knows about that era is based upon her mom's words.

Her mother is also a friend of mine. I have spent many hours listening to her relay the events that she endured such as her father being killed by North Vietnamese soldiers as well as her uncles and other relatives.

Both mother and daughter live here in Canada having immigrated from their homeland. The daughter has been here about 9 or 10 years.

The mother was forced into a prearranged marriage when she was young. Her husband beat her on a near daily basis. Their first kid was the girl and if you know anything about Asian culture, you'll know this is a big no-no. A boy should be born first. It is always the woman's fault if she cannot produce a boy.

That boy came second.

But, everytime the father saw the girl, the mother was beat some more. He hated the kid. Finally, they divorced. The mother moved in with her mother and together, they raised the kids.

Now, keep in mind that this was a tough time for the young mother. To make matters worse, the war was over, but it wasn't done. Even after the US troops went home, the war was running full speed, but silent- or ignored.

The NV were still killing the SV and many, such as my friends, traveled perilously to Cambodia. For a while they tried to make a home near the border. The NV would breech the border in their hunts of SV refugees. This caused my friends to move further into Cambodia. The Cambodians were helpful, but mindful that if the SV were found, all of them would die.

In many regards, this silent war still rages on. The young mother met a Canadian and through desperation, immediately married the man and he sponsored her into Canada. She was forced to leave her kids behind with her mother.

It took about 10 years to finally get her daughter here and another few for the son. The man she married died about 3 years ago. He wanted an Asian bride, but not her family so he refused to sponsor the kids.

The grandmother died this past September. The mother has no idea about her remaining family that were separated in the 70's and 80's. They are presumed dead.

The US military was used in this war not to fight for our freedoms, but for someone else that had no self defense.

I can tell you, without a doubt, that I appreciate their efforts as the result is two women I love dearly. As for them, they would rather be in the US even though they all have successful careers right here. Their gratitude is monumental.

Those old hippies of the 60's and early 70's have not yet died off. They are alive, well and reproducing in California, Oregon, Washington state and in British Columbia. Those are the ones that did the protesting of the war. But, these two ladies will not tolerate any put down of the US.

Ever hear or see Vietnamese women get feisty? I don't understand a lot of what they say, and its kind of funny to hear them get to yelling in Vietnamese, but there is no doubt they ain't happy. They are true American loyalists.

westcobbdog

Great post. Every school kid should have to learn and study that forgotten war and casualty list. Makes me think again about our pres who does not respect our soldiers sacrifices.He makes me sick.

zedex

Gator Bait
Great post. Every school kid should have to learn and study that forgotten war and casualty list. Makes me think again about our pres who does not respect our soldiers sacrifices.He makes me sick.

He be a debil

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Everyone should visit that and the changing of the guards at Arlington at least once.
:flag: It is a memory that will last a lifetime!:flag:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I was too young to go, but had several friends that went over there. Some came home whole, some came home with scars, and some didn't come home.

Thank you to everyone who served in the military. Especially those who were in a "war" that we didn't go in to win, but police. It was wrong to treat our soldiers like they were treated.

pushplow

ABSOLUTELY! It will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, and if you have any pride in you at all, you'll tear up! This alone is worth the trip to DC.
My hat's off to ALL veterans! Thank you for your service!

NCummins

As a veteran of our latest wars my hat is off to ALL Vietnam vets. You guys are a great generation and deserve(d) nothing but the best from this country. Every time I go to the VA I hold back tears when I run into you fellas.

Sargent

My dad served in Vietnam as an artilleryman.

Luckily for him, he came back intact (both physically and mentally) until the last several years. Exposure to Agent Orange has possibly left him with some health issues.

To those who served, Welcome Home.