Vortex trailer hubs…

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Anybody have experience with them? Any problems?
They are double sealed on the inside of the hubs and O ring sealed on the outside side.
6 year warranty.
How often do you service them?
Mine are one year old now, and have been from Lake Lanier to Florida panhandle at leasst a dozen times and once to South Florida... Each trip to salt water averages 5 to 10 dunks at the ramp.
They are headed back to South Florida next week and I believe I need to give them a shot of grease, but I've been told not to touch them. With the previous problems of had on other hubs, I don't believe it. I'm thinking is time for a shot of grease.

95g atl

I'd like to hear more on this from folks.

I personally think when these hubs are "sealed" they shouldn't need more grease. After all, where does the old grease go? It doesn't burn off or leak out if they are sealed and no evidence of leakage. Adding more grease could bust a seal open and then you'll have a leak and mess.

If anything, I would just clean and repack bearings.

Eudora

A hub is a whole unit that is designed to stay sealed and not need extra grease. I know a Timken bearing engineer once told me that those bearing buddies are even bad because when you force grease in, it pushes and deforms the seal to let grease out. I imagine the same goes for a hub. My suggestion, don't force grease in it.

1eyefishing

I've googled vortex hub maintenance and read on other forums.
Seems the manufacturer suggests don't service them for 100000 miles, but open them up and give them 1 or 2 strokes from a grease gun 'as needed'. That's where it gets questionable.
Mine are always cool to the touch after hours on the interstate. I'm going to at least jack them up off the driveway and check for tightness and growling. Using anything but Lucas lube will void the warranty. I'll make sure I have some on hand and screw the outside sealed cap off the O ring and see what it looks like inside. I'll probably wind up giving it a shot of grease… The zerk is under the screw off cap on the end of the hub and channels grease to the rear, forcing it out towards the front. There should be plenty of spare room for an extra shot or 2 of grease. I want to look in there and make sure water has not leaked in and emulsified the original grease.

lonewolf247

My thoughts are somewhere between "old school" and "modern technology". I have several old tractors from the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Most of the seals have become hard and warped, and no longer make an air tight seal, to say the least. I just pump grease into them, until I see it start to come out. Ideally, that's not perfect by design, however, even at their age, the bearings are still going strong. So, in that case, I think it's working, and better than letting them go dry.

On my modern pickup truck, I do have a few zerks on the front end. I am careful to pump 1-2 strokes into them, as to not burst the seals.

In the case of the hubs you mentioned, the old school in me, would want to pump grease into them. However, based on modern technology, and that the premises of the maintenance free hub, is built upon how well, they are sealed, I personally wouldn't pump grease into them at this time.

You say they are only 1 year old, and the warranty says 6 years/100,000 miles, I think it's way too soon. I would trust the warranty, on this one, and leave them be, at least for now. If you mess up the seals, all bets off, especially with saltwater.

My 2 cents.

boatbuilder

Not having to repack wheel bearings every year sure is appealing.

But I would take off the caps and make sure there was no water in them at least.

Do you carry spare hub?

1eyefishing

Yes I love the maintenance free aspect.
I trusted them all the way to South Florida.They ran smooth and cool the whole way. I'll probably check on them when I get back home. There only a year old and plenty of folks never look at them for several more years… I'm gonna crack them open expel any water and give them a new shot of Greece soon ...

Latest posts