WALKING ON NEWGRASS DRIVELER #356

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Now my mother was born in Wilcox county Ga and they are some pea and cornbread eating people. They ain’t much for green beans. They do luv eating bream. Throw nothing back. Call those little ones tater chips.
Now you're talking,that's my kind of folks. I love catching big bream,but I love eating three finger bream. Any bream that gets in my way is in eminent danger.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I like my peas along with Lima beans or butter peas. I ate so many green beans growing up I’m just not that fond of them now. Had them three or four nights a week from I was old enough to know what they were till I left home.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I like my peas along with Lima beans or butter peas. I ate so many green beans growing up I’m just not that fond of them now. Had them three or four nights a week from I was old enough to know what they were till I left home.
They way I like green beans is cooked with new potatoes. I don't like them grilled or half raw either.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I like shuck beans, think you fellas call them leather britches

trad bow

Just to show y’all how old school my folks were they didn’t eat beef cause there was no way for them to preserve it as easy as pork growing up. I never had a beef steak myself till I was twenty years old. Ate a ton of deer meat though.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Just to show y’all how old school my folks were they didn’t eat beef cause there was no way for them to preserve it as easy as pork growing up. I never had a beef steak myself till I was twenty years old. Ate a ton of deer meat though.

TB, I don’t have memory of beef, just pork and poultry.

trad bow

I like shuck beans, think you fellas call them leather britches
The only leather britches beans I’m familiar with are those dried in the pod then rehydrated in a pot of water on the stove all day. My father and his people dried them that way to preserve them to eat till the following growing season.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
It wasn't often that old folks ate beef here in the south for the reason you posted. That was a big animal to preserve without refrigeration in the hot south. Jerky was not even practical,farming took up the time it would take to can that much meat.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The only leather britches beans I’m familiar with are those dried in the pod then rehydrated in a pot of water on the stove all day. My father and his people dried them that way to preserve them to eat till the following growing season.

Yep, you string them and dry them where it’s not dusty.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
"Daisey" still ain't fond of beef, the first she ever ate was when her pet milkcow died.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Folks dug cellars in the face of the ridges, stayed pretty cool in the summer for storage. Milk and butter were put in sealed buckets and left in a spring until electricity came to the holler.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
“Mr Roosevelt gonna save us all.” :rofl:

trad bow

"Daisey" still ain't fond of beef, the first she ever ate was when her pet milkcow died.
Well that’s understandable but I was raised on a farm and no animals were pets. The closest thing were the bird dogs but they stayed kenneled. Mom had a cat but it was an inside cat cause even as a five year old boy I couldn’t stand a cat and would kill one if I got the chance. I guess that’s why I loved raising blue ticks. They save me the trouble of doing it my self. Didn’t need no barn cats cause I would sit there all day to shoot rats.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Folks dug cellars in the face of the ridges, stayed pretty cool in the summer for storage. Milk and butter were put in sealed buckets and left in a spring until electricity came to the holler.
Yeah, I still have fun trying to convince my niece and nephew that their Grandma didn't have electricity in their house till she was in high school. They got a indoor bathroom the next year.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Outhouse, coal oil lamps and hand dug well with a bucket until I was about 6.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Good evening to all the reminiscing drivelers.
100 bales of pine stray spread,3 - 30 ft oak limbs cut up and stacked.,40 bags of topsoil placed around foundation.I,m a tired puppy.
I always thought peas were grown south and beans in the mountains because of climate in the area.Only thing I don,t like is the big jumbo butter beans,,,every other bean and pea can be placed on my plate and will be eaten.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Outhouse, coal oil lamps and hand dug well with a bucket until I was about 6.
Niece bout passed out when "Daisey" told her what corn cobs were for.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I Remember taying with my grandparents into the late sixties with feather beds,pillows,pull chain single lights and on a cold winters night seeing the curtains moving with the wind blowing thru the house.3 quilts on you to stay warm......First one up stocked the firebox heater.Outhouse and a well pump on the back porch.

trad bow

Good evening to all the reminiscing drivelers.
100 bales of pine stray spread,3 - 30 ft oak limbs cut up and stacked.,40 bags of topsoil placed around foundation.I,m a tired puppy.
I always thought peas were grown south and beans in the mountains because of climate in the area.Only thing I don,t like is the big jumbo butter beans,,,every other bean and pea can be placed on my plate and will be eaten.
For the most part that’s true.

Status
Not open for further replies.