Weekend RV trip

erhunter

My wife and I wanted to rent a camper and spend the weekend up in the mountains. Anyone have a good experience you’re willing to share? Either at a campsite or off the grid.

Last edited:

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Sort of "in the mountains", but our favorite spot not too far away is Desoto State Park above Fort Payne, AL.
Desoto State Park

Friends of ours always stay here when visiting the Smokies.
Townsend KOA

I also like Cheaha State Park in Alabama (just below I-20 near Heflin). Highest point in Alabama.
Cheaha State Park

Tough getting a spot right now, seems everybody wants to be outdoors and away from folks during COVID...so camping it is. You might have to get creative.

This is a small family owned campground near Murphy, NC. I have not stayed there, but have always been tempted.
Persimmon Creek Campground

I'm surprised and pleased at the number of folks who will rent out their campers.
Example:
RVShare.com

Of course, most all the Georgia State Parks are winners too...Cloudland Canyon, Ft. Mountain, Tallulah Gorge. (Tallulah had very nice/large sites and great facilities, this was our trip in 2013).
DSC01886A.jpg

marknga

GONetwork Member
Sounds like a great weekend. I would suggest calling ahead and making reservation. The RV industry is experiencing the biggest year in their history and campgrounds are full.

specialk

My wife and I wanted to rent a camper and spend the weekend up in the mountains. Anyone have a good experience you’re willing to share? Either at a campsite or off the grid.

been thinking of the same thing.....who did you rent from...PM if you'd rather not post.....thanks!