Well, I hate to say I told you so…

buckpasser

But I told you so! Delaying season has ZERO effect on, well, anything. Like us, Tennessee fell for the lies told by the Turkey Doc, but thanks to some far superior thinkers and researchers of wildlife biology, the myth has finally been debunked. TN plans to get back to reality soon, as should GA and the rest of those states fooled by the master salesman of theoretical nonsense, the turkey Doc.

Please listen, enjoy, and let someone in DNR know what science has proven, so that we can get our season dates back to what they should be. Thanks!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sure thing. Open it up year-round, even better. Killing turkeys for a longer period of time is great for the populations. :rolleyes:
I will say that we've always had a late season here. Opens in mid-April and runs about three weeks. Guess what? We're ate up with turkeys. Nobody griping about it here.

Resica

Sure thing. Open it up year-round, even better. Killing turkeys for a longer period of time is great for the populations. :rolleyes:
I will say that we've always had a late season here. Opens in mid-April and runs about three weeks. Guess what? We're ate up with turkeys. Nobody griping about it here.
Opened up here Saturday. May 4th.

Dupree

I’m personally fine with the April opener in north Georgia. The second half of April is my favorite time to hunt.

South Georgia should open up like it used to imo though.

buckpasser

You don’t even hunt turkeys! Don’t derail my victory lap! Haha

buckpasser

@Resica and @NCHillbilly

Y’all realize those season openers aren’t “late” for where you are, right? I hear Toms burning it down in June in Illinois. I’m on the FL line and the season once was pretty well timed. Not no mo.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
@Resica and @NCHillbilly

Y’all realize those season openers aren’t “late” for where you are, right? I hear Toms burning it down in June in Illinois. I’m on the FL line and the season once was pretty well timed. Not no mo.
They tear it up in early March or even February if the conditions are rìght.

Wonder if this is still viable?

Screenshot_20240402_085514_Facebook.jpg

buckpasser

They tear it up in early March or even February if the conditions are rìght.

Wonder if this is still viable?

View attachment 1304194

That’s probably a couple pinkeye purple hull and some fordhooks!

In all seriousness, the man does bring some cool info to the world, but markets himself as “it” when he’s just a mediocre biologist in his field that apparently struggles mightily with hypotheses and theories. I enjoy his data. His analysis…not so much.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You don’t even hunt turkeys! Don’t derail my victory lap! Haha
When did I say I don't hunt turkeys? I'm not fanatical about it, but I do now and then.

buckpasser

When did I say I don't hunt turkeys? I'm not fanatical about it, but I do now and then.

Well, I think we’ve both gotten off topic. The point is, the Doc is done.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Gator89

I’m personally fine with the April opener in north Georgia. The second half of April is my favorite time to hunt.

South Georgia should open up like it used to imo though.

It would not hurt a thing to use the GA fall line, or I-20 even, as a boundary between north and south and have differing seasons per zone.

FL uses state road 70 as the line. South of 70 opens the first Saturday in March. North of 70 third Saturday in March. Each zone gets 44 days, with 7 of those weekends. Some WMA's are lottery, most are at least quota the first nine, then open the rest of the season.

Two bird legal limit applies statewide.

Sixes

It would not hurt a thing to use the GA fall line, or I-20 even, as a boundary between north and south and have differing seasons per zone.

FL uses state road 70 as the line. South of 70 opens the first Saturday in March. North of 70 third Saturday in March. Each zone gets 44 days, with 7 of those weekends. Some WMA's are lottery, most are at least quota the first nine, then open the rest of the season.

Two bird legal limit applies statewide.
While I get exactly what you are saying, we griped for years about an imaginary line until it was finally removed.

I do not want to see it come back

Resica

@Resica and @NCHillbilly

Little later this year due to calendar, I suppose. Normally starts in late April. The season here is only till noon for the first 2 weeks, last 2 weeks are all day. Trying to avoid disturbing nesting hens, I believe.

Resica

I wish we would go back to a Fall season like we used to have in Georgia.
We still have one. It's been shortened in some areas over the years due to declining populations. Used to be more fall hunters than spring hunters and more fall harvest numbers than spring numbers. That's been flipped for awhile. Can hunt with dogs in the fall now too!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
We still have one. It's been shortened in some areas over the years due to declining populations. Used to be more fall hunters than spring hunters and more fall harvest numbers than spring numbers. That's been flipped for awhile. Can hunt with dogs in the fall now too!

I was the dog when I was a youngun. My job was scattering the flock.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I was upset when they changed the season and started Ga later.
Then I became ok with it.
Now It's so hot I liked huntin the cooler earlier start weather better

buckpasser

…and it doesn’t help to miss the most fun time of the gobbling season. I commend the more civic minded among us that were “okay” with trying something, anything, to help the turkeys, but this ain’t it. As soon as I get time I’ll be emailing to see if I can apply some pressure to get it set back right. I hope more here do as well.