Well seasoned Newbie

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This. My success rate on small mountain streams went way up when I learned to wade "slow and low" to get close to likely trout holding lies, and then use a long rod to dap the fly through the run or hole. I rarely have the leader completely out of the rod tip on small streams. Even on big western waters like the Madison or Henry's Fork, I try to wade as close as I can to my target area to reduce the length of the cast as much as possible. Better drifts, better hooksets, better everything.
Yep. In most of the freestone streams I fish that are chock full of rocks and boulders, and five conflicting current seams from one bank to the other, making one of those long, beautiful textbook casts usually just means that your fly is dragging a few seconds after it hits the water, and all the trout are now hiding under the rocks. :)

jbogg

As for Brook trout in North GA, is there a sweet spot when it comes to elevation, and is there a max elevation where it is unlikely to find them above that point?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As for Brook trout in North GA, is there a sweet spot when it comes to elevation, and is there a max elevation where it is unlikely to find them above that point?
I don't know about north GA, but here in western NC and east TN, around 3000' is the sweet spot, mainly because the creeks below that are choked out with rainbows and browns. I have caught them below 2000' before in the right situations. As for the upper end, I have caught them at 6000' under the spruces and firs and mountain ashes, which is about 1500' higher than elevation even gets in north GA. The only limiting factor is enough water in the creek to support them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have noticed in the Smokies, over the last decade or so, the specks are moving back down. I catch them much lower than I used to in several watersheds. Sometimes in the mainstem creek, where I used to have to hike a couple-three miles up a tributary to get into them in my younger days.

jbogg

I don't know about north GA, but here in western NC and east TN, around 3000' is the sweet spot, mainly because the creeks below that are choked out with rainbows and browns. I have caught them below 2000' before in the right situations. As for the upper end, I have caught them at 6000' under the spruces and firs and mountain ashes, which is about 1500' higher than elevation even gets in north GA. The only limiting factor is enough water in the creek to support them.
That’s awesome. I really like that high country.

splatek

UAEC
John you’re going to have fun on this adventure. It’s really easy to catch a trout

I agree with nch about a longer rig, no line drag, but I’ve also just tossed some level line, tippet, handful of goes in my pack and used a flexible tiny sapling asa” rod “ before. The slightly longer rod allows you to get the flies up into areas prior to you seeing their shadows dart away from you. I think what you’ll find is that much like bears, trout don’t live in ugly places.

Those tenkara flies can be deadly, but in my limited experience high elevation wild trout will eat just about anything if presented correctly. My middle boy caught a speck on a gold empty hook.

The flies I would recommend: yellow stimi, or humpy, or red(royal?) wulff, frenchie, black midge, and my box never leaves home without a couple tellicos. Since I’ve started bear hunting the tellico reminds me of the yellow jackets I see, but I guess it’s designed to look like a yellow stonefly nymph.

Have fun. Once you start catching you’ll find it super enjoyable. And tasty.

jbogg

John you’re going to have fun on this adventure. It’s really easy to catch a trout

I agree with nch about a longer rig, no line drag, but I’ve also just tossed some level line, tippet, handful of goes in my pack and used a flexible tiny sapling asa” rod “ before. The slightly longer rod allows you to get the flies up into areas prior to you seeing their shadows dart away from you. I think what you’ll find is that much like bears, trout don’t live in ugly places.

Those tenkara flies can be deadly, but in my limited experience high elevation wild trout will eat just about anything if presented correctly. My middle boy caught a speck on a gold empty hook.

The flies I would recommend: yellow stimi, or humpy, or red(royal?) wulff, frenchie, black midge, and my box never leaves home without a couple tellicos. Since I’ve started bear hunting the tellico reminds me of the yellow jackets I see, but I guess it’s designed to look like a yellow stonefly nymph.

Have fun. Once you start catching you’ll find it super enjoyable. And tasty.
Thanks Steve. You know I will be leaning on you for some advice when it comes to trout fishing. I plan on camping this weekend and doing a little surf & turf combo, with trout fishing during the heat of the day, and watching a hard to get to food plot in the PM for hogs.

jbogg

Well, I played hooky from work yesterday morning and ran up to the mountains to try out my brand spanking new Tenkara 8 foot fly rod. I was proud of myself for repurposing my fancy Bino harness into a compact little carryall for my $50 worth of flies, extra tippet, cell phone, car keys…

It was a beautiful morning, and I was thrilled to catch a little stocker rainbow on my second cast, throwing a squirmy worm. I waded upstream maybe 30 feet in some 2’ deep rapids and quickly netted another small stocker brown trout. I quickly unhooked the magnetic clasp securing my Bino harness to grab the forceps and do a quick little hook removal. As I bent over to scoop the trout out of the net, I heard a plop and it took a good half a second for my brain to catch up with reality. Before that half a second, I was wondering what’s that piece of trash floating in the water only to realize that’s not trash, that looks exactly like the box of flies that is in my Bino harness/was in my Bino harness.

It was 50 feet downstream in eight seconds, and it could be in Lake Lanier now for all I know. I held my breath and looked into my Bino harness, and just as I suspected, there was no iPhone to be seen either. Thankfully, those mountain streams are crystal clear, and as I peered through the ripples there it was laying on the bottom directly between my feet. I fished it out, and was relieved to see that it was still working fine.

I decided to keep fishing, and it only took another five minutes for me to get the squirmy worm hung on a branch 12 feet above my head. I still wasn’t ready to hang it up, so I drove into Blairsville, hoping to purchase some flies at Alexander’s outdoor store, only to find that they were closed on Wednesdays. At that point, I realized I needed to cut my losses, lick my wounds, and prepare to do battle another day.

IMG_0187.png

jbogg

Fishing Memorial Day weekend in a popular stream is a little different than a Wednesday morning. There’s probably 10 trucks camped on this little road that I’m camping at the end of. I did manage to bumble my way into one nice keeper for the pan. And to All you veterans out there I appreciate you, and thank you for your service.
IMG_0207.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fishing Memorial Day weekend in a popular stream is a little different than a Wednesday morning. There’s probably 10 trucks camped on this little road that I’m camping at the end of. I did manage to bumble my way into one nice keeper for the pan. And to All you veterans out there I appreciate you, and thank you for your service.
View attachment 1307852
That is the life!