West Point - good access for electric only boat?

cjones

Looking for suggestions from ramps on West Point that would be suitable for a 15' flat-bottom electric (55lb thrust trolling motor) boat. I've only been on WP a couple of times, so not sure if has 'big water' that's being ripped up by big boats or not. We're slow and I don't want to put us in a situation where we can't get out of the chaos if it gets unsafe.

Keeping my eye out for a screaming deal on a 20-25hp motor, but it's looking like I'll be waiting until next winter's 'sell off' by now.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I know of maybe one at McGee Bridge Recreation Area across from Highland Marina. You can go back into that cove and fish the docks and shoreline and it's a pretty big area that's not as exposed to the big boats.

@Dustin Pate knows West Point really well and might can make better recommendations.

cjones

What are you looking to catch?

Looking for crappie for now but really anything I can put my two boys (10 & 12) on to have a chance of catching something.

My wife and I hit Ringer last fall and caught a few fun-sized bass up in that slough. Curious if there were other places worth checking out as well.

Last edited:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Ringer is a good bet for crappie right now. You could probably do well at Clark Access and fish that upper end of Yellow Jacket. Brush Creek Park is also opening in the next couple days and should have plenty of crappie in there for the next little bit.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Earl cook is a good area out of the main lake traffic . I honestly wouldn’t be afraid to put in anywhere on the lake in a 15’ boat and a trolling motor .

Whitefeather

Management Material
Looking for suggestions from ramps on West Point that would be suitable for a 15' flat-bottom electric (55lb thrust trolling motor) boat. I've only been on WP a couple of times, so not sure if has 'big water' that's being ripped up by big boats or not. We're slow and I don't want to put us in a situation where we can't get out of the chaos if it gets unsafe.

Keeping my eye out for a screaming deal on a 20-25hp motor, but it's looking like I'll be waiting until next winter's 'sell off' by now.
Liberty Hill Park ramp would be where I’d go. Plenty of fish within 400 yards from the end of the ramp and you won’t get run over

pbradley

Earl cook is a good area out of the main lake traffic . I honestly wouldn’t be afraid to put in anywhere on the lake in a 15’ boat and a trolling motor .
I second Earl Cook. Good for bass and crappie and the occasional hybrid.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I recognize that stump. Too bad you didn’t leave any in there though
We caught most of what we caught out From that stump , 8ft of water, just casting a jig . Couple more boats trolling and they seemed to be catching a few

cjones

Just left there !

Nice! Looks like we chose poorly for this trip. We went to Clark and the water was like Yoohoo. I think the deepest water we found (right near the boat ramp) was ~10'. We tried to go upstream, but it got shallow (<3') fast and the way that slough lays, the wind was whipping right down the middle of it. We trolled around and anchored for a while off a point and burned a handful of minnows but the less than desirable conditions and my failure to prepare the lines ahead of time (lesson learned) burned the boys (and my nerves) pretty quick. We were only on the water an couple of hours and didn't get a nibble. Saw several boats running a few spots that I was wanting to hit as well and didn't see anybody bringing anything to hand.

We'll be back again, though! I told the boys that's why they call it 'fishing' instead of 'catching'.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Nice! Looks like we chose poorly for this trip. We went to Clark and the water was like Yoohoo. I think the deepest water we found (right near the boat ramp) was ~10'. We tried to go upstream, but it got shallow (<3') fast and the way that slough lays, the wind was whipping right down the middle of it. We trolled around and anchored for a while off a point and burned a handful of minnows but the less than desirable conditions and my failure to prepare the lines ahead of time (lesson learned) burned the boys (and my nerves) pretty quick. We were only on the water an couple of hours and didn't get a nibble. Saw several boats running a few spots that I was wanting to hit as well and didn't see anybody bringing anything to hand.

We'll be back again, though! I told the boys that's why they call it 'fishing' instead of 'catching'.
Saturday was tough on WP. That wind was blowing. The spots we fished with high hopes didn’t pan out. We found a few but it was definitely a struggle

cjones

Try putting in at Ringer and go left from the ramp into Fish Creek.

When we took out at Clark's, we intended to move over to Ringer. My wife and I had decent success there on a quick trip last fall and it looked like it wouldn't funnel the wind as bad as where we were. By the time we got everything loaded up and strapped down, the boys were zapped from the sun and wind, so we decided not to press our luck and called it a day instead.

Thanks for the tip, we'll keep that one in mind next time for sure.

deersled

Georgia Park is another one worth trying. I was electric only for the past 5 years, just got a 15hp suzuki on my 14' Tracker. Go up under the 219 bridge, its a little bit of a ride, but not bad, and theres a big creek to the right, doesnt have a name that Im aware of. I see people trolling in there quite often. Fish Creek, out of Ringer seems to be very popular with the crappie fisherman.