What are you throwing on tiny creeks?

schawk26

What fly setup is your go-to for tiny creeks?

Creeks small enough where you can only roll cast and bow and arrow.

Blue lines…2-3’ maybe at deepest

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Agreed. Yellow stimulator till fall rolls around then an orange stimulator. Greenie wiennie after a rain.

Woodshound

In addition to stimmies, I throw adams and elk hair into tiny creeks. Wild fish will hit outsizedly large flies, in my experience.

In a creek that runs through a deep or high-walled gorge, I'll throw a worm after the water settles a bit from a good rainstorm.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Basically, what I can get them to hit the best and I can see good. Most of the time, they're not picky. A #12-#14 Yellow Palmer, Elk Hair Caddis, #14 yellow/orange Simulator or Female Adams will do it most times. Orange Palmer in the late summer and fall. It's very, very rare that I ever fish anything smaller than a #14. Sometimes, they're pickier, though, and you have to fiddle around to see what they want to eat instead of just slap at.

To me, a dry/dropper rig is more trouble than it's worth on small creeks-harder to cast, always getting hung on limbs or rocks, or getting all tangled up when you catch a fish on the dry and it flops and twists around. I'm usually just running a dry fly on the small creeks. If I see a big deep hole that I don't get a hit on the dry, sometimes I'll cut the dry off, tie on a weighted nymph and dredge it through there a few times.

Woodshound

Started with a stimulator this morning - it was mobbed by angry minnows but nothing else. I changed to an adams and had a pair of nice wild rainbows come to immediately.

Broken and pocket water were active on the creek I visited today, deep pools were quiet. Not a great elevation creek, but good temps, banks, and features.