What can help my garden in this dry spell and heat?!

XJfire75

I’ve got a small personal garden beside my house and it was coming up quick and pretty with corn, squash, okra, watermelons, peppers and tomatoes then these 100+ degree days hit and they’re taking a beating. Wilted and a few plants have died. I’ve been watering them most mornings between rows and soaking the plants themselves here and there also.

What’s the best watering schedule since there are more 95+ days ahead and no rain in the forecast?

Thanks!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
just a dampening on the top is worse than no water at all. The roots tend to grow shallow, and when it does get dry, they die quickly. The best way I know to keep them watered is with drip tapes and lots of mulch to keep the water in the ground. And don't just water for a few minutes. We are talking several hours of watering.

How big is your garden? We can calculate how many gallons of water you would have to put on it to equal one inch of rain

XJfire75

just a dampening on the top is worse than no water at all. The roots tend to grow shallow, and when it does get dry, they die quickly. The best way I know to keep them watered is with drip tapes and lots of mulch to keep the water in the ground. And don't just water for a few minutes. We are talking several hours of watering.

How big is your garden? We can calculate how many gallons of water you would have to put on it to equal one inch of rain

Only about 50’x20’. 2 full length rows of corn, 6 squash, 5 watermelon, 2 cantaloupe, 6-8 bell and jalapeño peppers, 4 green beans, 4 tomatoes, and about a dozen okra. All we’ll spread out.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Only about 50’x20’. 2 full length rows of corn, 6 squash, 5 watermelon, 2 cantaloupe, 6-8 bell and jalapeño peppers, 4 green beans, 4 tomatoes, and about a dozen okra. All we’ll spread out.
that would be 1000 sq ft, or 625 gallons of water to equal one inch of rain. If you hose ran out 5 gallons a minute, you would need to water for 2 hours and 5 minutes to equal an inch of rain. If you are running a sprinkler head, I doubt you are getting anywhere near 5 gallons. Probably closer to 3 or 3.5 gallons a minute.

A well mulched garden should do ok on an inch of rain a week, depending on the soil type and condition.

a drip tape is much more efficient than a sprinkler because of evaporation.

the best way I have found to water tomatoes is to take a 5 gallon bucket and drill a 3/32 hole out close to one edge, thru the bottom of the bucket. Place this hole as close as you can to the plant, and fill the bucket with water. It will take a few hours to drain it out, and you will get a good soaking to the plant. If you really want to make them grow, mix in some water soluble fertilizer, like Miracle Grow, and water as above

XJfire75

that would be 1000 sq ft, or 625 gallons of water to equal one inch of rain. If you hose ran out 5 gallons a minute, you would need to water for 2 hours and 5 minutes to equal an inch of rain. If you are running a sprinkler head, I doubt you are getting anywhere near 5 gallons. Probably closer to 3 or 3.5 gallons a minute.

A well mulched garden should do ok on an inch of rain a week, depending on the soil type and condition.

the best way I have found to water tomatoes is to take a 5 gallon bucket and drill a 3/32 hole out close to one edge, thru the bottom of the bucket. Place this hole as close as you can to the plant, and fill the bucket with water. It will take a few hours to drain it out, and you will get a good soaking to the plant. If you really want to make them grow, mix in some water soluble fertilizer, like Miracle Grow, and water as above

Awesome. Thank you!

I did spray in some miracle grow around the plants last week but don’t think I’ve been giving them enough water so I’ll def try the bucket trick and up my watering to longer periods.

Thanks!

Red dirt clod

Here’s an option for your tomatoes next year. PVC pipe about an inch & a quarter in diameter maybe 18 inches long buried at the time you plant. Just fill the tube with water and your done, can add fertilizer also.3C827EA4-BC5A-45EA-B6D1-54C4ED05081A.jpeg

mlandrum

Mulch Mulch Mulch!! WATER till Mulch is good and wet then do the finger check and Mulch - Water as necessary. good Luck!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team

THIS^^^^^^^^^^

Long Cut

Water retaining granules, wetting agents also help water penetrate the soil making your watering more efficient, prevent hydrophobic soil conditions etc
You still have to water, deep & infrequently for the reasons mentioned above.