What do you season your pot roast with?

Shadow11

Just picked up a new crock pot. I also stopped and picked up a roast, some carrots, taters, and onions. I have some beef broth in the cabinet. I might have some brown gravy mix somewhere.

Other than salt and pepper, do yall season your meat with anything else?

The internet says 1000 different things, including flour. Some say to brown it in a skillet b4 the crock pot. Do you do this?

20240511_081614.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just picked up a new crock pot. I also stopped and picked up a roast, some carrots, taters, and onions. I have some beef broth in the cabinet. I might have some brown gravy mix somewhere.

The internet says 1000 different things, including flour. Some say to brown it in a skillet b4 the crock pot. Do you do this?

View attachment 1305004
Everybody has their own way of doing it, just depends on your personal taste. Definitely sear it on all sides in a skillet first, IMO. A lot of folks like the Mississippi pot roast recipe, but when I've tried it, it's almost so salty you can't eat it. So if I do that, I modify it some.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Add some celery or celery seed, plus some garlic and paprika to mine.

ambush80

View attachment 1305004
That's purty.:love:

Definitely sear good and hard first.

Last edited:

Shadow11

I've got a Mississippi pot roast going right now in the crock pot with a packet of ranch, a packet of au jus gravy mix, 1/2 stick of butter, and some peperoncini peppers.
That's a whole different animal. I definitely want to try it, though! Maybe next time.

I ended up patting it into some flour and searing it on both sides in olive oil. I heated up some beef broth in same pan later. Salt, pepper, and a lil garlic powder on both sides of meat. I probably didn't layer it right. I have onions on bottom. Then a few taters, put the meat in and surrounded with more taters. Put some carrots on top. I decided just now go out to garden and pulled up a few small onions, so I chopped those up and threw on top. Added more salt/pepper.

I dunno. It should be ok. I'll know in about 6 or 7 more hrs.

20240511_114821.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a whole different animal. I definitely want to try it, though! Maybe next time.

I ended up patting it into some flour and searing it on both sides in olive oil. I heated up some beef broth in same pan later. Salt, pepper, and a lil garlic powder on both sides of meat. I probably didn't layer it right. I have onions on bottom. Then a few taters, put the meat in and surrounded with more taters. Put some carrots on top. I decided just now go out to garden and pulled up a few small onions, so I chopped those up and threw on top. Added more salt/pepper.

I dunno. It should be ok. I'll know in about 6 or 7 more hrs.

View attachment 1305079
That's gonna be good!

furtaker

First I sear it in a smoking hot cast iron skillet and season it with garlic salt, black pepper, and sometimes a package of dry ranch dressing when it comes out of the skillet and goes in the crockpot.

georgia_home

Some water, Montreal seasoning, a1, and teaspoon of garlic, from jar. We did this last Monday or so…

Sometimes we would add carrots and/or potatoes. optional.

menhadenman

Here’s another option to try @Shadow11

fatback

When I do any roast in the slow cooker I will wait till the last 2-2.5 hours before I add my carrots, celery, taters, etc…. Those don’t need as long to cook and can get a bit mushy if they are in the whole time with the roast. As far as the roast goes, I season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and some onion powder. I will also seat it in a cast iron pan before going into the cooker with some beef broth. Yours looks tasty. Good job.

Shadow11

Trying another one. That last one fed me every day at work last week. Never got tired of it. Only a hand full of tater went into the woods.

Trying another one. I put some of that ranch stuff on top if the meat this time. I'm also using chicken broth instead of beef. I cut up half a head of broccoli that was in the garden and threw on top, lol. I dont know how that will go. Also some fresh garden onions on top. Store taters, carrots, onions, and a 3lb roast is in there summers.
20240519_132219.jpg20240518_075609.jpg

pjciii

I use salt and pepper then sear(don't have to) then use a packet of seven seas zesty Italian and beef broth or beef granules and some water. Then all the usual pals. Carrots, taters, frozen pearl onions.