What primers are these?

Jester896

Senior Clown
I considered measuring them. How would you do that though? Would you have to take a fired primer and remove the anvil and scrape out any residue then measure with caliper depth gauge?

Rosewood
the one i measured on my bench was a spent one with the anvil still in it. I just measured in one of the 3 cutouts in the anvil with calipers.

rosewood

the one i measured on my bench was a spent one with the anvil still in it. I just measured in one of the 3 cutouts in the anvil with calipers.

I will give it a try.

Thanks!

rosewood

I will give it a try.

Thanks!
The tip of my caliper depth gauge won't even begin to fit between the anvil petals. Gonna have to dig it out.

rosewood

yeah...it wasn't easy..one set of mine is pretty fine on the tip.
My all metal one has a thicker tip. Found one of the plastic ones and it has a round tip that is much slimmer, going to try that.

Thanks,

Rosewood

rosewood

Did a little filing on the round tip on the plastic one. The best I can tell from all angles, the 2 primers measure exactly the same. Even the dimple of the primer strike is the exact same depth. That indicates to me it is the same hardness material also. This was comparing CCI SR with CCI SPM fired from a AR15 in 300BO.

Rosewood

BriarPatch99

I considered measuring them. How would you do that though? Would you have to take a fired primer and remove the anvil and scrape out any residue then measure with caliper depth gauge?

Rosewood

You can take a dental pick ...flip out the anvil ..... lift the foil up and scrap out the priming compound .... I soak in water for a good while .....the compound will soften( it will become active again when dry) .....

Since I don't have a micrometer that will fit inside a primer cup ....I use a dial indicator on a stand ..... take several measurements .....

Wear safety glasses all the time ..... never had one go off ....but it is possible....

Last edited: