What tripod to buy for 2023 elk hunt

JR924

Time to buy a tripod to practice and hunt with for my upcoming elk hunt. Maximum range to shoot an elk is 300 yards. I want a good sturdy one that can adjust from kneeling to standing shooting. Prone shooting would be nice but I intend to shoot prone over my backpack. Bipod or monopod conversion not a requirement. Price is a low concern. I heard of some models where parts fall off during the hike. I will have to carry it uphill and downhill in rugged terrain but prefer durable and more stable shooting platform over weight. Need to get going on practicing short to long shots in variety of shooting scenarios so buying by first of the year. I came up with the tow following models.

1. https://www.scheels.com/p/vanguard-...634860&utm_content=Bing Shopping_19 - Hunting. (looks like it does not work with prone shooting)

2. (my favorite) https://smile.amazon.com/BOG-DeathG...61444&sprefix=hunting+trip,aps,96&sr=8-1&th=1 (works with prone shooting)

Which one do you like or do you recommend another model? Thanks in advance for any replies.

FlipKing

The BOG is sturdy, strong, and fully adjustable. It's also heavy in the aluminum version and is not super small

Gaswamp

#1 looks good...I think that #2 bogs r well made but they r quite heavy...Might have to consider that depending on how much hiking you do. Another consideration would b stoney point

treemanjohn

Banned
Trekking pokes are the best. They're dual purpose when walking and they make a great rifle rest if needed.

Just keep in mind that standing is by far your least accurate position.

Last edited:

chase870

Possum Sox
The BOG in carbon fiber is what I shoot off. It is light enough to carry strong enough to be used as a walking stick if need be folds up small enough to attach to a back pack etc. They are pretty durable I haul them in the truck bed beat them up and in general use them hard and dont really take good care of them. They pass the hard use hunting test

If you’re going to only be shooting 300 yards max, I recommend a couple 48” survey lath with a 1/4-20 bolt…..

300 yards with a high power on an elk sized animal is a pretty easy shot.

Also, that wood won’t make a “tink” noise on everything it touches…

menhadenman

Check out Slik and Manfrotto. Guys out west like em. I’ve got two Vanguards and like them well enough for western hunts.

killerv

I have the deathgrip, its heavy

seems a little overkill for a 300yard max shot on a large animal.

I'd rest on a backpack or have a lightweight attached bipod instead.

Elkbane

I'd recommend against a tripod based on 20 elk trips - IME, there is almost never a way to get all three legs adjusted in a timely fashion.

I use sticks kind of like these:

They adjust to uneven terrain better than anything else I've found - have used them exclusively for 25 years - I'm on my second set. When traveling, I have them folded up hung from a pouch-scabbard on my pack - when in the field, they are always unfolded and ready to deploy at a moment's notice.

ELkbane

JR924

Good point. I am going to check in with my guide to see what he recommends before I buy. He will be taking 5 hunters so I naturally thought he would drop me off at a location overseeing a trail and I could set up beforehand.

deers2ward

Are you taking a spotter, or will your binos take a stud?

I recommend the Outdoorsmans Tripod.

Use it with your binos or spotter for glassing, then when you are getting close to your bull, attach this to the tripod:

Latest posts