Where to buy lumber?

JerryC

I'm building a fence in Kennesaw near Marietta and am looking for an alternative source to HD/Lowes for stuff like 4x4x8 PT posts, PT 2x4x8's, and PT dog-eared pickets. Or will HD/Lowes be the cheapest, because they do have the exact same price. Any ideas? A google search turns up too much junk. -JerryC

lakelbr

Depends upon the quantity you are looking for. For most residential size projects, a local retailer will be your best bet. I will be glad to help in any way.

Barrett Smith

706-373-2193

7Mag Hunter

There is a place on Canton Hwy outside Marietta I used when I
built my fence 2 yrs ago...Can't remember the name right now
but when I get back to Atl next week I will try to find the name..

They are about 5 miles outside Marietta on the right side of the
road as you go away from Marietta....They were substantually
cheaper then Lowes and HD for PT stuff...
I used 6x6 corner posts, 4x6 posts and 2x6 rails....230' across
the front of my yard...

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
Try Jasper Lumber

Jasper Lumber & Components
Street: 2700 Kennesaw Due West Road
Kennesaw, GA 30144-3532
Phone: (770) 428-2604

They used to beat the big box stores everyday. I haven't used them in years, however

JerryC

7 Mag I'd love to hear the name of that place. There are several chain link fence suppliers in that area but I'll wait to hear if you find the name of that place.
Ta-ton-ka chips I will give them a call. That is really near me. Thanks guys. -JerryC

GoldDot40

From personal experience, I'd say stay away from the lumber at Lowes. Our 20X10 front porch is less than 3 years old and is warped like crazy. I used screws to assemble it....no nails whatsoever. The hand rails, outer band, and some of the floor look like crap. My brother-in-law had the same results from lumber from his local Lowes as well.

JerryC

I noticed that the Lowe's PT stuff has a different color to it, it is darker, than the Home Depot stuff. Thanks- JerryC

Doc_5729

There is a place on Canton Hwy outside Marietta I used when I
built my fence 2 yrs ago...Can't remember the name right now
but when I get back to Atl next week I will try to find the name..

They are about 5 miles outside Marietta on the right side of the
road as you go away from Marietta....They were substantually
cheaper then Lowes and HD for PT stuff...
I used 6x6 corner posts, 4x6 posts and 2x6 rails....230' across
the front of my yard...

That would be

Circle A Fence
1589 Canton Rd
Marietta, GA 30066
(770) 424-7862

Got about anything you need to build any type of fence....

Reasonable, most of the time........ ferget the Managers name now, but they're good folks

flyingt

Superior fence in Cumming will give you a great price. But unless you have experience in installing fence yourself I would get a quote for having it installed. Here is the Managers cell # (770)780-9052 tell em Travis sent ya.

grayelky

Home Depot and Lowe's both have sorry lumber. Avoid it. Circle A has pretty decent stuff, but a little expensive. Jasper is very competitive, and has good lumber. The other place 7mag hunter is referring to is just before the section where Canton Rd connector comes into Canton Rd, across the railroad tracks. They also have decent lumber. And, no, I can't think of the name of it either.

If you don't have experience building a wooden fence, you can build it yourself, and, depending on your skills, make it look ok. A fence installer will make it look better, and you will not be so wore out when they finish.

can look around and see if you have an 84 lumber. Or find a subdivision that is being built and look and see who is delivering their lumber as well.