Which bore brush do you use?

Geezer Ray

Every since I got my borescope I have of course been doing a lot of copper removal. I'm not going to bash a company but the bronze bore brushes I have, brand new out of the tube suck, their pushrods I love but brushes not so much. After less than a dozen and more like 1/2 a dozen passes the darn bristles start coming out. So what bore brushes do yall use?

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
I use BoreTech proff positive nylon brushes and jags for most everything I have. I will buy a bronze brush once in a while to get out heavy carbon for something new to me that doesn’t shoot and that is why they got rid of it. Most of the time it is just real dirty.
As a general rule 1 pass to the muzzle and back with each shot fired to get one good and clean. You can wash them with soap and water to clean them up afterwards too.

rmp

Pencil my name in the column that doesn’t abide by the rules.
For smokeless:Wipe Out foam plugged off with cotton or swabs and occasionally Montana Extreme with a nylon brush. I used Dyna-Tek bore coat on my last Benchmark. I’d estimate the round count to be around 500 and it hasn’t seen a brush yet. Maybe snake oil, maybe not.
BPCR: anything under 30” barrel length with fouling allowed to sit less than about 8 hours is pristine with 4 patches. No solvent or soap.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'm with ya on everything but the Wipe Out...that stuff is a gooey sticky mess to me.

I know the Bartlein barrel in my long range gun is easy to clean and it shoots moly bullets. Custom barrels are a lot easier to clean than factory barrels with all the chatter marks they can have.

I might have to try your recommendation on the Dyna-Tec.

Reactions: rmp

rmp

I’ve used Montana Extreme for years with great results (along with some other solvents) but the wife would always comment on the ammonia smell. After reading positive comments about Wipe Out, I tried it with a couple cotton balls in the chamber and a cleaning swab with patches to plug the muzzle. Give it soak time, remove plugs, and push out patches onto a shop towel on the floor. Does well!

You’re right though. I don’t deal much with factory barrels anymore unless I’m pulling them or helping someone solve a mystery. I’ve seen some that make you wonder how they have any sort of consistency on target.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I use Montana Extreme but the folks at BoreTech asked me to try their Eliminator and the Moly product and they seem to be close to Montana and Kroil.

My 700P had so many chatter marks I couldn't figure out how it shot so well. After some good love and 1500 rounds it goes in the same hole @ 100 and .45 at 1K

Reactions: Dub

jglenn

I'm with Jester on the boretech stuff and nylon brushes. The Dyna-tek stuff is for real..but I've only used it on rough bores that liked to foul rather quickly