Who bores cylinders?

Dialer

I have a 2 cylinder barrel off of a motorcycle (425cc) that needs to be bored. Anybody know someone that could do it for me? My supposed “friend” wants $75 per cylinder. I didn’t pay THAT much for the whole bike!

tr21

aint no way I would pay that much. I would go buy a new one. if I paid less than $75 for a motorcycle I would expect it to be in perfect running condition. I cant believe how people will take advantage of people selling them junk. someone recently sold my brother a 2000 250cc four wheeler that the engine was locked up on for $50. we sprayed kroil in the cylinder and let it sit for a hour. turned right over. cleaned the carb and it started right up. I really couldn't believe this guy charged him $50 for it. by the time mu brother bought a new air filter, changed the oil,spark plug and rear end fluid he had put atleast another $100 in this thing. just goes to show you there's a sucker born every day, cant believe my brother gave this guy $50 for it. now he has $150 in a four wheeler he could sell tor $1000 and this thing runs like a champ. i'd take that bike to the scrap metal yard and get $50 for it and save the $75 if it was me.:cry: just face the facts you, got ripped off once paying for the bike don't get ripped off again paying a whole $75 for having it bored

tr21

you could always google what size to bore the cylinder to, spend $100 or more for that size drill bit, chuck it up in your drill press and after it catches (destroys your drill press, destroys the walls in your basement, rips off your arm) then go buy a new block and be $75 ahead of the game :ROFLMAO:

transfixer

Price sounds fair to me for someone that knows what they are doing, Machine shop work isn't cheap , and shouldn't be, add to that there aren't that many machine shops left around .

rayjay

I was getting $65 a hole back in the late 90's. And loosing money at that !!! I spend about $4500 for a boring bar, precision hone, etc and wasn't even getting paid for the time it took to do a professional job. The impetus for this expenditure was a cyl I had bored by another shop that was so tapered that the piston would not go all the way through the bore. The very top of the cyl was smaller than the skirt diameter of the piston.

Due to an injury I had to close my shop a few years later and finally sold the whole boring/honing set up for $2500. Definitely not one of my best investments from a strictly monetary viewpoint. Good for the customers though so that's the main criteria.

Dialer

aint no way I would pay that much. I would go buy a new one. if I paid less than $75 for a motorcycle I would expect it to be in perfect running condition. I cant believe how people will take advantage of people selling them junk. someone recently sold my brother a 2000 250cc four wheeler that the engine was locked up on for $50. we sprayed kroil in the cylinder and let it sit for a hour. turned right over. cleaned the carb and it started right up. I really couldn't believe this guy charged him $50 for it. by the time mu brother bought a new air filter, changed the oil,spark plug and rear end fluid he had put atleast another $100 in this thing. just goes to show you there's a sucker born every day, cant believe my brother gave this guy $50 for it. now he has $150 in a four wheeler he could sell tor $1000 and this thing runs like a champ. i'd take that bike to the scrap metal yard and get $50 for it and save the $75 if it was me.:cry: just face the facts you, got ripped off once paying for the bike don't get ripped off again paying a whole $75 for having it bored
That’s $75 per cylinder.....I’ve had several sets of vintage British bike cylinders cleaned, honed, and bored, for $100 TOPS, and this guy calls me his friend. I take pride in restoring rare vintage bikes, so call me what you like....

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
Machining ain’t cheap. I’ve never bored heads or cylinders but have done parts that required just as much precision and the setup time can be longer that the actual machining. Factor in setup and tooling and $75 a cylinder ain’t bad. You know, inflation and such. And if you are refurbishing these and selling them pass the cost on....

tr21

I was getting $65 a hole back in the late 90's. And loosing money at that !!! I spend about $4500 for a boring bar, precision hone, etc and wasn't even getting paid for the time it took to do a professional job. The impetus for this expenditure was a cyl I had bored by another shop that was so tapered that the piston would not go all the way through the bore. The very top of the cyl was smaller than the skirt diameter of the piston.

Due to an injury I had to close my shop a few years later and finally sold the whole boring/honing set up for $2500. Definitely not one of my best investments from a strictly monetary viewpoint. Good for the customers though so that's the main criteria.
but I bet you had a lot of people who "called you a friend"

Dialer

Fact is, one of the cylinders is fine, just requiring a good honing. The other cylinder, however, will need to be bored. Can’t seem to get corrosion pits to clear by honing. Gonna bore it up .019”. (1/2 mm) and install the only remaining set of oversized rings in the world. The other cylinder will receive standard rings.

zedex

Gator Bait
Pay the guy the 150 and have him punch both holes equally.
If your cylinders are not equal, your carburetors aren't equal. The machine will run junky before self destruction.
The pressure exerted on the rods, bearings, crankshaft and main bearings must be even or you will have catastrophic engine damage.
If you wont do both equally, save your money and throw it away now.
Wiseco has top end kits for almost every engine that ever puffed air. Get the kit and take it to your engine builder. Using the kit for actual dimensions, he can properly bore it out EQUALLY. Anything less is wasting money, materials and time

zedex

Gator Bait
Cmp1,

The GS425 was a great little motorbike and if build properly, would serve as a fantastic commuter for Dialer. I hope he listens to reason from all of us.
The CB series motorcycles are bulletproof in design, longevity, reliability and affordability. The CM series is getting more popular.
My oldest brothers wife's brother had a GS425 and he rode that thing everywhere for about 10 years. Never had a lick of trouble with it. At that time, I had a CB550 and had to do repairs. But that little 425 never quit. I was so impressed with it, i tried to buy it off him. No dice.
Let's hope for the 425's sake, he takes the time and money to do it right

Latest posts