Why have FFL transfers gotten so high?

duckbill

The only surviving gun shop in town charges $50 for an FFL transfer. That's just plain robbery. I don't have another FFL within 25 miles of me and they are $30 - $35 . What gives? All they're doing is faxing or mailing some paperwork :huh: .
They used to charge $10 - $15 plus the $5 call in charge. Is it everywhere or just here in central Florida?

My guess is that they just don't want to mess with it. I don't know why, though. It's pretty easy money.

weagle

The shops around me still charge $10 to $20 but the key is competition. If there is only one game in town, they can charge more. That said, I would think a smart businessman would know that he should take care of his regular customers.

Weagle

rayjay

The first 7 words say it all. See if Wal Mart will do the transfer for you. I used to have a small biz and mail order really hurt me. Especially the ones that tried to come have me install the part or tell them how to do it themselves. I would tell them to call Summit.

I can have a transfer done for $10 but he is also a pawn shop. I also bought a new 22 mag rifle from him and buy some ammo there pretty regular. I might ride over there today and see what he has in a Savage short action 10 or 16.

rj

E

edge

FFL transfers

I don't mean to sound insensitive, but......

There is a certain cost associated with running a business...
If you want an attorney, a CPA, or a doctor to fill out some papers and fax them for you....do they ever charge a fee?
That FFL is hard to come by and hard to keep....overhead is involved...along with record keeping for every firearm that goes through, even if he doesn't receive any profit for it.....So, I would say that $30 is reasonable...
If FFL holders did it for $10 to $15 for the past 20 years...how about inflation?:huh:

re

duckbill

I partly agree with you ERIFLE, but here's where I don't:

The gun shop owner has to have an FFL to purchase his own inventory. Without it he's out of business. Transfers are just something he can do for customers(or potential customers). Naturally he should be paid for his time, but how much time is involved in sending and filing the paperwork? How much does the average secretary(oops- administrative assistant) get paid? $10-$13/hr?
We're talking about mailing or faxing a form,making a phone call, and logging the firearm in your computer,file it in a drawer. I'm thinking 20minutes total. That's put's the gun shop owner in my town at $150/hr. :hair:

weagle

Since he's the only game in town, I'm sure part of his motivation is to increase the cost of purchasing a firearm from someone other than him. That's not the case in my neck of the woods where there are many gunshops within a few miles of my house and providing a service like FFL transfers will bring customers into the shop where they buy ammo, cleaning supplies, etc.

Weagle

duckbill

weagle said:
Since he's the only game in town, I'm sure part of his motivation is to increase the cost of purchasing a firearm from someone other than him. That's not the case in my neck of the woods where there are many gunshops within a few miles of my house and providing a service like FFL transfers will bring customers into the shop where they buy ammo, cleaning supplies, etc.

Weagle

I think you're right ;) .

Gun and archery shops leave a lot to be desired down here. They are unfriendly, unhelpful and real expensive. I wouldn't mind the latter, if the first two were the opposite. :smash:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Because he's mad you are getting it from someone else.

T