Wilkes County Reports

RamseyWC

Well I hope everyone had a good season.

My father-in-law was in the woods this morning and had some success.
I posted opening weekend about a buck I put an arrow in and who we tracked but never found. As the FIL was cleaning and processing his deer this morning, he found a G5 Montec broadhead lodged between the right scapula and rib cage, which is consistent with the shot I took.

This buck was less than a few hundred feet from where I shot him in October, which surprised me as I thought he would have steered well clear of the area. The shaft had worked its way unscrewed from the broadhead and he had a pocket of fat formed around it. When he stepped out this morning, he wasn't limping and looked to be in good health otherwise.

I'm grateful he didn't suffer a worse fate, and it's certainly been a lesson to me to keep practicing.

I thought some of you might like the update.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230107-131430.png
    Screenshot_20230107-131430.png
    999.8 KB · Views: 28

BowSniper

Was covered up with deer Saturday morning hunting a hardwood bowl in Wilkes. Had 11 deer at one time in view. I believe we saw about 20 deer total that morning and 5 more that afternoon. Saw about 8 different bucks and had some bumping does and chasing them. One 7 point let out a couple of buck roars that really highlighted me and my 10 year old son's experience. Boy missed a good buck that i believe is mature and over the hill. Not a monster rack but a big body and really grey face. Was a great day to be in the woods. Glad to see you reporting from Wilkes county.

BowSniper

highbeam

Was able to make it to Danburg, for my first sit of the season on Saturday. Saw good numbers of deer early before the wind picked up. Saw one good buck that got wind of me before I was able to see him. Acorns are thinly scattered and the deer are hitting my food plots hard. I have a mix of clover, cereal rye, and oats. Scrapes were every where. Are we setting up to intense rut around Danburg? Hope so. The ruts of past years have been week around my place. Won't be able to make it back till Nov. 3rd because of work and I plan on staying a week. Good luck to everyone in Wilkes this season. Stay safe everyone!

Doc_Holliday23

Curious if anyone is interested in doing any food plot work or knows anyone interested for next season? I’m in Lincoln County about 5 min from Metasville/Sandtown. Don’t have the equipment or time currently but have one field in particular that I’d love to grow something.

Hope yall are having a great season. I killed a nice 10pt 2 weekends ago and hope to add a doe to the freezer this week. Happy Thanksgiving!

deermaster13

I should have been checking on this thread a little more. been kinda quite. I tagged out really early this season and just been meat hunting. Just now starting to see some second rut activity start showing up on camera. Been alot of night time movement lately around the house though, Hope all had a great Thanksgiving. Oh and seems most acorns are all but gone so my plots are getting hammered.

phillip

What part of Wilkes you seeing this action at ? We figure second rut kicking in next week in Rayle area

deermaster13

I live between Danburg and Tignall and have a tract inside city limits as well. I have not seen another buck cruising t but on camera since Monday. I'm curious to see if any scrapes are opened up this weekend when we're able to hit the woods a little bit.