Wind up mower....

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
We had one on a Sears tiller
As a matter of fact my brother still has the tiller. I guess I’ll get it from him to look at once in a while. I used that thing a lot when I was about 9 years old and older.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yep, my grandpa had one.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
That's a new one on me. Dad first put me to using a "real" mower, and then when I was tall enough he figured my calves weren't big enough and put me to push'n a 2 wheel mower with a caster in the back.. body of the thing was made out of cast iron and weighed a ton. Went and bought a used Snapper after I'd had enough of that.
Edit: I just remembered that the "tri pod" didn't have a spring loaded "recoil" pull cord.. had a spindle on top of the motor with a notch and you hooked the rope (with a knot in the end) then coiled it around the spindle ... and... pulled with everything you had.. rinse.. repeat..

Last edited:

Whitefeather

Management Material
Do any of yall remember these?...my grandaddy had one when i was a kid

My grandfather had one of those. Looking back it wasn’t a terrible idea

Another oldie that I remember was my uncle had a 3 wheel riding mower and it’s front wheel was chain driven. It didn’t have a reverse. To back up, you just turned the front wheel 180 degrees.

Buck70

Yep, almost broke my hand using one. I wound it up but forgot to fold the handle down. I push the start button and the handle crashed hard into my hand. I hated that thing.

Redbow

I can't remember ever seeing one of those mowers and I'm 77.

flyrod444

I use to till our garden with a tiller that had a wind up starter something like that. It worked well but didn’t always start first try. This was back in late 1960s