Wolf fang anchors

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
For those that use it in red clay what length of cable do you use?

buckpasser

I finally went to 8” and they held great. I left them because they just didn’t hold up long even when digging them up with post hole diggers.

280 Man

Banned
I started out using 15 in, but have you ever tried digging up a 15in in clay soil. :oops:. It got the point that I would just leave them. I use the 12 in wolf fangs now. Just to be honest, the 12 inch is more cable anchor than I need.

Ive thought about buying a swager and making my own. That way I could play with a few different lengths to see what I really need.

Doug B.

I started out using 15 in, but have you ever tried digging up a 15in in clay soil. :oops:. It got the point that I would just leave them. I use the 12 in wolf fangs now. Just to be honest, the 12 inch is more cable anchor than I need.

Ive thought about buying a swager and making my own. That way I could play with a few different lengths to see what I really need.
I make my own. That's the way to go. I can make cable extensions, drowning cables, snares, etc.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

Yeah I’m thinking about the 12’s. I’m not digging any up my back won’t let me. It’s not worth saving a dollar.

280 Man

Banned
I make my own. That's the way to go. I can make cable extensions, drowning cables, snares, etc.

I may go to Home Depot and buy a cheap pair of swagers, 30 bucks, and give it a try. Snares are illegal in SC and I really don't care about trapping anything but predators, ie, coyotes, foxes, coons and the such

Doug B.

I may go to Home Depot and buy a cheap pair of swagers, 30 bucks, and give it a try. Snares are illegal in SC and I really don't care about trapping anything but predators, ie, coyotes, foxes, coons and the such
Snares are legal here as long as they are within 10 feet of water. I have made a few but it's funny, I hardly ever set any.

kmaxwell3

Yall got me nervous now. I bought a dozen 20" thinking the longet the better for my Duke 550os I just got. Have not used any yet, going to set some this week hopefully. Guess I could just not drive them all the way down?

Doug B.

Yall got me nervous now. I bought a dozen 20" thinking the longet the better for my Duke 550os I just got. Have not used any yet, going to set some this week hopefully. Guess I could just not drive them all the way down?
If you don't drive them all the way down then you will have the cable sticking up out of the ground. It's hard to get that cable to lay down good under your trap. If you have 8 or 10 inches of cable above the ground it will be almost impossible to get it to lay flat under your trap. I guess you could anchor away from your trap then bury the cable that you don't drive into the ground.

280 Man

Banned

20 inchers, whew, I pity you. LOL

If you don't drive them all the way down then you will have the cable sticking up out of the ground. It's hard to get that cable to lay down good under your trap. If you have 8 or 10 inches of cable above the ground it will be almost impossible to get it to lay flat under your trap. I guess you could anchor away from your trap then bury the cable that you don't drive into the ground.

He could take that extra cable and tuck it back down in the hole!

kmaxwell3

I may just cut them and recrimp the ends

I would cut them and recrimp the ends if you are trying to trap coyotes. coons don't so much matter I just hate disturbing the ground anymore than I have to at my sets. I don't know if a driver will even sink a 20 inch and if it does you may have to dig out your driver also.