Worse than I thought...

Atlsooner

Went out to my lease this weekend, knowing I had tornado damage from Katrina. It was unbelievable ! :hair: I got out there, pines down in front of the gate, had 2 chainsaws, cut up trees, had to take a chain, and move out them out of the way just to get through the gate, same thing with the road. That took abook about 3 hrs, then after we did that, got into the property, go about 100 yrds and I liked to have about died! :banginghe This twister came in and wiped out a path of 40ft. pines about 100 yrds wide for about a 1/4 mile and again blocking the rest of the road. These pines looked like match sticks laying down. It is going to take a dozer to get this mess cleaned up off of the road so I can get to my stands. Now, how does a person go about getting this mess cleaned? Do I need to contact the timber company and let them know? Do I get someone with dozer to clear a path for me? They are probably concentrating on their forests in the gulf coast area. I'm not sure which direction to go. They probably have no idea that their was damage to about 20 acres of pines. If anybody has any suggestions, they would be most appreciated.

billy336

I would contact the timber company first before doing anything else. Best to not upset them on top of their loss. See what they say and take it from there. Good luck.

Buckfever

Worse than I thought!!!!

Atlsooner sorry to here about the mess so close to opening day, but you should contact whom ever owns the pines to let them know about the damage. They may want to get the trees up if they can be salvaged, and even if they can't it will show that you're looking out for their interest also............BF

gadeerwoman

The land owner must be the one to make the determination of what needs to be done and by whom so I would give them a call ASAP. Hopefully they can get it cleaned up quickly.

7Mag Hunter

damaged trees

I'd do what gadeerwoman suggests...Call land owner (timber co) first to see if
they want to try to recover the trees...
We lost some last year, including lots of white oaks...Timber co was not
interested and did not even come out...They did show up the week before
Thanksgiving and select cut our pines (same area) , and did not even look at
the downed trees....Cut in the area untill after Christmas....Could not even
hunt the area....They even cut on Sunday!!!!
Loggers said we could use downed trees for firewood....

Good luck..
7mag hunter

B

Bowbender

Atlsooner

Very sorry bout your bad luck, I hope it all works out good for you..

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

Atlsooner said:
Went out to my lease this weekend, knowing I had tornado damage from Katrina. It was unbelievable ! :hair: I got out there, pines down in front of the gate, had 2 chainsaws, cut up trees, had to take a chain, and move out them out of the way just to get through the gate, same thing with the road. That took abook about 3 hrs, then after we did that, got into the property, go about 100 yrds and I liked to have about died! :banginghe This twister came in and wiped out a path of 40ft. pines about 100 yrds wide for about a 1/4 mile and again blocking the rest of the road. These pines looked like match sticks laying down. It is going to take a dozer to get this mess cleaned up off of the road so I can get to my stands. Now, how does a person go about getting this mess cleaned? Do I need to contact the timber company and let them know? Do I get someone with dozer to clear a path for me? They are probably concentrating on their forests in the gulf coast area. I'm not sure which direction to go. They probably have no idea that their was damage to about 20 acres of pines. If anybody has any suggestions, they would be most appreciated.
sorry, bud. :( ...............and then the TCU Horned Frogs on top of it. :(

Atlsooner

coon dawg said:
sorry, bud. :( ...............and then the TCU Horned Frogs on top of it. :(
Ouch !!!! John, why are you pouring salt in my wounds !! And to think I had the up most respect for you respecting other people. :D Was not a good weekend at best.

CharlesH

my best regards

I didn't realize it was so bad out that way. I went out to my club Saturday and didn't really see much damage; I even tried to drive out through Felton. Hope that it doesn't mess up your season to bad.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

Atlsooner said:
Ouch !!!! John, why are you pouring salt in my wounds !! And to think I had the up most respect for you respecting other people. :D Was not a good weekend at best.
feel for ya on both counts, my friend :( ...........elmo of a weekend. :(