Your best Ga buck !

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
There are some SERIOUS AWESOME deer in this thread! You got a good one goin ant!

Mine
View attachment 1096049

Wife's
View attachment 1096051

Son's
View attachment 1096052

Daughter's
View attachment 1096050

The stories would take a way too long.
The memories are still so fresh and we'll cherish em forever!
Nice bucks bud , and I’m sure the stories could make a book ! Yeti has the biggest smile and maybe buck also ! But that spike is a trophy I don’t care who u are !

M80

Useles Billy’s Spiritual Counselor
849D3681-B476-485C-A88E-242F321BBD16.jpegMy dads collection. Top right is Paulding Co, middle are rockdale, and bottom left is south Fulton. Unfortunately I’ve been hunting since 1990 and I’ve never killed a buck over 100” thanks to mainly being a bow only guy. If I had my 300mag I’d have 4 between 130-140”. Waiting on my pope and young.

uturn

Great thread and awesome Ga.Bucks!

Here‘s mine Friday after Thanksgiving Day 2007 sat in a climber in the rain all day, on a small tree climber canted forward if you know what I mean..killed him at last light just as I had beyond to pack it in! It was in Brooks, never scored him..I think he’s a good one tho!83B0DCC8-845B-4327-AC5E-0C93481E190D.jpeg

Darkhorse

I hope this is allowed. I've already posted some pages back my best buck but I feel I need another and make it my best 2 Geogia bucks.
This was my first deer of any kind and after several years of nada I finally prevailed and scored on a huge buck for the time. It was 1975 November 21 or 22 and I was hunting with a 35 Marlin with a 2.5 Weaver scope. I was still young, my son would be born the next year. I knew nothing about dressing warm, cotton long johns were considered cold weather gear along with Levi's. The warmest thing I had was a CPO coat that was 35% wool. For those who can't relate I froze my young *** off and shivered almost all morning every time I hunted.
So I had found some honest to goodness early deer sign and built a rickety deer stand and hunted it every weekend but never even seen a doe. Still I persisted and on a particularly cold, frosty clear morning magic happened. From my left I heard a hog grunting, then again and it was closer. I'll take a hog I thought being lefthanded turned as far to my left as possible when I heard it breaking some sticks as it came. Then far to my left I just saw a large animal walk out of a small bottom. I slowly turned to my right cocking the marlin as I turned to shoot the hog. But what I saw was a huge buck who spooked immediately. I was going to take a shot through the pines but I couldn't spot the deer. He couldn't have gone far without me seeing him so I just stared into the woods heartbroken. Then I saw something move behind a honeysuckle covered pine. Then again. Then again to the right. Finally I realized it was antler tips as he turned to look for what had spooked him.
I tried to still my knees which were trying to jerk and calm my heart. I was twisted severely and something had to give when he turned and started walking back the way he had come. I let him walk into a clear spot and put a .35 bullet through his heart. The blood trail was heavy and short.
Somehow I loaded him into my truck and part of an antler was sticking up above the side. I drove him around Montezuma and Oglethorpe and drew quite a crowd, nobody had seen a deer that big.
This was before meat processing plants so I went to a neighbors and asked him what to do. He called the game warden.
The game warden said he was probably a first generation northern deer that had been stocked in the flint river swamp. We tried to weigh him on a set of old 250 pound cotton scales which bottomed out when he was halfway off the ground.
My neighbor offered to hang him in his cooler and teach me how to process a deer. I gladly accepted.
The early photo's were taken with an instamatic and have long since faded. The one's of his mount do not do justice to what he really looked like. By the way, he was scored by the late Dick Whittington at 147 5/8".
DSCN0033-375x500.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I hope this is allowed. I've already posted some pages back my best buck but I feel I need another and make it my best 2 Geogia bucks.
This was my first deer of any kind and after several years of nada I finally prevailed and scored on a huge buck for the time. It was 1975 November 21 or 22 and I was hunting with a 35 Marlin with a 2.5 Weaver scope. I was still young, my son would be born the next year. I knew nothing about dressing warm, cotton long johns were considered cold weather gear along with Levi's. The warmest thing I had was a CPO coat that was 35% wool. For those who can't relate I froze my young *** off and shivered almost all morning every time I hunted.
So I had found some honest to goodness early deer sign and built a rickety deer stand and hunted it every weekend but never even seen a doe. Still I persisted and on a particularly cold, frosty clear morning magic happened. From my left I heard a hog grunting, then again and it was closer. I'll take a hog I thought being lefthanded turned as far to my left as possible when I heard it breaking some sticks as it came. Then far to my left I just saw a large animal walk out of a small bottom. I slowly turned to my right cocking the marlin as I turned to shoot the hog. But what I saw was a huge buck who spooked immediately. I was going to take a shot through the pines but I couldn't spot the deer. He couldn't have gone far without me seeing him so I just stared into the woods heartbroken. Then I saw something move behind a honeysuckle covered pine. Then again. Then again to the right. Finally I realized it was antler tips as he turned to look for what had spooked him.
I tried to still my knees which were trying to jerk and calm my heart. I was twisted severely and something had to give when he turned and started walking back the way he had come. I let him walk into a clear spot and put a .35 bullet through his heart. The blood trail was heavy and short.
Somehow I loaded him into my truck and part of an antler was sticking up above the side. I drove him around Montezuma and Oglethorpe and drew quite a crowd, nobody had seen a deer that big.
This was before meat processing plants so I went to a neighbors and asked him what to do. He called the game warden.
The game warden said he was probably a first generation northern deer that had been stocked in the flint river swamp. We tried to weigh him on a set of old 250 pound cotton scales which bottomed out when he was halfway off the ground.
My neighbor offered to hang him in his cooler and teach me how to process a deer. I gladly accepted.
The early photo's were taken with an instamatic and have long since faded. The one's of his mount do not do justice to what he really looked like. By the way, he was scored by the late Dick Whittington at 147 5/8".
DSCN0033-375x500.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg
Anything is allowed in here , great buck and story . I really enjoyed everyone’s stories and pictures !